With Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 installed, system backups run slower than usual.
|Article:TECH102764|||||Created: 2007-01-30|||||Updated: 2012-06-18|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102764|
Why are the system backups running slower since installing/migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0?
In Symantec AntiVirus (SAV), scanning files that are being backed up is disabled by default. In Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP), it is enabled by default.
Upgrade to the most current available release of SEP in order to take advantage of the latest performance enhancements and improvements.
To disable the scanning of files that are being backed up, follow the below steps:
- In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, go to Policies
- Open the Antivirus and AntiSpyware policy.
- Select File System Auto-Protect.
- Click on the Advanced Scanning and Monitoring button.
- Uncheck Scan when a file is backed up. Additionally, further performance improvements may be gained by choosing "Scan when a file is modified" instead of "Scan when file is accessed or modified."
- Click on OK to save the change.
Additional recommendations can be found in the articles referenced below.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102764