Device Control is blocking devices but notifications are not being displayed
|Article:TECH102795|||||Created: 2007-01-02|||||Updated: 2007-01-06|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102795|
Why are blocked device notifications not being displayed?
You have made a device control rule and enabled "Notify users when devices are blocked" but there is no notification or the notification only shows once, even though devices are being blocked.
In order for the notifications to be displayed, the Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client system tray icon must be enabled.
To enable the system tray icon on a managed client, follow these steps.
1. Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM).
2. Click on the Clients tab.
3. Click on the Policies tab.
4. Expand the Location-specific Settings section.
5. Click on Tasks to the right of "Client User Interface Control Settings."
6. Choose Edit Settings.
7. Click on the Customize button to the right of "Server control" or "Mixed control" (which ever is selected.)
8. Check the box next to "Display the notification area icon."
9. Click on the OK button.
10. Click on the OK button.
To enable the system tray icon on an unmanaged client, or a client in "Client control" mode, follow these steps.
1. Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection client.
2. Click on the Change settings button.
3. Click on the Configure Settings button to the right of "Client Management."
4. Check the box next to "Show Sysmantec security icon in notification area."
5. Click the OK button.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102795