SylinkDrop or SylinkReplacer fails to assign Symantec Endpoint Protection clients to a new Client Group
|Article:TECH103041|||||Created: 2007-01-06|||||Updated: 2011-01-14|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103041|
Either the SylinkDrop tool or SylinkReplacer tool was used with the intention of moving clients to an existing client group created within a new Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. The tool moved the client into the Temporary group instead of the preferred group.
The Symantec Endpoint Protection client registers with the new Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager site and is assigned to the My Company/Default Group instead of the group desired.
The SylinkDrop, or SylinkReplacer, tool will not automatically move clients into a specific group unless specific conditions are met. In addition, neither tool will move clients from one group to another when that client is already reporting to that Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
For instructions on how to move groups within the same manager via SylinkDrop or SylinkReplacer see the references section of this document.
The following conditions must be met in order for SylinkDrop or SylinkReplacer to move a client into a new Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager server's group:
- The Sylink.xml file must contain the "PreferredGroup" information which identifies the target client group.
- The HardwareID key must be deleted from:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\SYLINK\SyLink.
- The Symantec Endpoint Protection client is not registered with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager site. If there is a record of the Symantec Endpoint Protection client in the new Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager site then the "PreferredGroup key" will not be used during client registration.
The following procedure should be used to move clients into a specific group within a new SEPM site. Otherwise, the Symantec Endpoint Protection clients will be assigned to the temporary group.
- Create an exported installation package assigned to a client group and copy the associated Sylink.xml to the client.
- Within the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, click on Admin.
- Click on Install Packages.
- Under Tasks, click on Export Client install Packages
- Specify an "Export folder" for the exported installation package.
- Uncheck the Create a single .EXE file for this package option.
- Ensure that the Export packages with policies from the following groups option is checked.
- Specify the target client group, you want the clients to move into.
- Specify the mode setting (Computer or User mode)
- Click OK.
- When the Exporting package process is finished, click OK.
- Go to the folder specified as the Export folder and open the Global_<Client_Group_Name>
folder to retrieve the sylink.xml used in this process.
- Delete the HardwareID registry key on the client.
- Click on Start, then Run...
- Type regedit and click OK.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\SYLINK\SyLink.
- Delete the HardwareID registry key.
- Close the registry editor.
- Run the SylinkDrop or SylinkReplacer tool and use the Sylink.xml from step 1
- Copy the SylinkDrop tool from the second Symantec Endpoint Protection CD to the client machine. The tool is located in the TOOLS\NOSUPPORT\SYLINKDROP folder.
- Double-click the SylinkDrop.exe file to start the tool.
- Click Browse then navigate to and select the "Sylink.xml" retrieved in step 1 of these instructions. Click Open.
- Click Update Sylink.
- This will stop the Smc service, drop the "sylink.xml" file then restart the Smc service and force the client to register with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager server.
- Obtain the SylinkReplacer tool from Support.
- Run the tool and follow the prompts.
Note: For step-by-step instructions on how to use the SylinkReplacer tool see the PDF file provided with the tool.
Please reference the "Exporting installation packages" section of the Administration_guide.pdf. at:
This document is available in the following languages:
- Brazilian-Portuguese: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/br_docid/20080313112712935
- French: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/fr_docid/20080318100718935
- German: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/de_docid/20080318104925935
- Italian: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/it_docid/20080318111453935
- Spanish: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/es_docid/20080317110852935
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103041