Obtaining the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec Network Access Control
|Article:TECH103088|||||Created: 2007-01-12|||||Updated: 2013-06-05|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103088|
A new release of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) or Symantec Network Access Control (SNAC) is available. The update may solve a problem that you have or incorporate new features, and you need to know how to obtain the new version.
Note: To check whether the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection is installed, download and run SymHelp.
Product information and new build downloads are available on the Symantec FileConnect web site. Before you begin, get your serial number from Symantec Customer Care, or by accessing the Licensing portal at the following URL:
- Using a web browser, access FileConnect at:
Note: To change the language in which you are browsing, click Change Language.
- Enter your product serial number, and then click Submit Serial Number.
- Choose the language of the product. For English, click International English.
- Read the Symantec Software License Agreement. At the bottom, click I Agree.
- Select the file(s) to download, and then click Download Selected Files.
Note: The Download Manager allows you to queue and manage the download of multiple files, and requires Java. A Java applet manages the download process so that when one file completes its download, the next download in the queue begins. The applet also allows for the use of the "Resume Downloads" feature on the web site. You should install the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). For older versions of Java, the applet still allows the download, but a warning incorrectly appears stating that the site is not a trusted source due to a known issue with Verisign certificates. If Java is not installed for the current browser, the page redirects you to the Oracle website for download and installation.
To download files over an encrypted (HTTPS) connection, click Expand All, and then click HTTPS Download. This method does not use the Download Manager.
- Click Browse to select a folder in which to save the selected file(s), and then click OK.
This starts the download. Once completed, you can find the downloaded file(s) in the folder location you provided.
Refer to the technical support telephone number that you received when you purchased your product and maintenance contract. For a list of technical support telephone numbers in other regions, go to the Contact Business Support Via Phone page.
To purchase a current version of a Symantec product, go to the Symantec PartnerNet Locator Web site to locate a Symantec Partner.
Please note: Protection for Windows and Linux platforms are downloaded together. The latest version of Symantec AntiVirus for Linux can be found in the SAVLINUX folder on the Symantec Endpoint Protection product install set.
- What is ESD (Electronic Software Delivery)?
Electronic Software Delivery, or ESD, is a software delivery method that allows for easy and secure download access. ESD provides immediate web-based access to the software, and simplifies much of the complexity inherent in the business software lifecycle.
- What is included in the file that I download?
Description of each downloadable file is listed on the Product Information Page. In most cases, the file that gets downloaded is actually made up of several files "zipped" together and contains everything that would require from a CD-ROM, including documentation.
- What do I do if I cannot find my product on the Product Download page?
It is possible that the software is listed under a different name than you expected or that it is associated to a different serial number. If you still cannot find it, contact Customer Support.
- Where can I find my serial number?
You can find your serial number on the License Certificate you received with your initial purchase or on your Version Upgrade notification. Symantec Vouchers require registration via the Licensing Portal in order to receive a serial number. For eFlex site license customers, your serial number will be located on your License Email Confirmation sent to you by the Licensing Portal. If you need help locating your serial number, please contact Customer Support.
- Where can I get older versions of the software?
You will receive access to the most recent version of the software at the time of purchase. If you are current on maintenance/support on the license, you will have access to upgrades to which you are entitled via your Version Upgrade serial number. Older versions than what you purchased may not be available. Refer to Symantec's End of Life Policy for more information on available of previous version products. For more information, please contact Customer Support.
- Can large files be downloaded internationally?
Yes. FileConnect connects directly with multiple global internet service providers (ISP's) and we are able to provide quick access to major hubs worldwide. FileConnect's load balancing technology automatically selects the best provider, maximizing download throughput so the customers receive downloads through the fastest route possible.
- Why is the byte count on the file I downloaded different than the listed size?
The file size listed is in bytes, while your system may list files in either kilobytes (KB) or megabytes (MB), which are not exactly one thousand and one million bytes respectively. If the downloaded file is substantially smaller than the listed size, it is possible that the download did not complete successfully. In this case, try the download again. If the problem persists, contact Customer Support.
- Why won't my .zip file unzip?
If you receive an error (e.g., not valid file format, or end of central directory not found) when trying to unzip your download, it typically means that you do not have a complete download. Please compare the file size listed on the Product Download page to what you have on your system.
- What if my download doesn't complete?
For a complete download, start the download again. If you have any problems, contact Customer Support.
- How long will my download take?
Your download time of the files depend on the size of the file, the speed of your connection, and the amount of traffic on the Internet. For approximate times, check the Estimated Times and Details of the file on the Product Download page.
This document is available in the following languages:
- Brazilian-Portuguese: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103088&locale=pt_BR
- French: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103088&locale=fr_FR
- German: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103088&locale=de_DE
- Italian: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103088&locale=it_IT
- Spanish: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103088&locale=es_ES
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103088