Removing all Symantec Macintosh programs remotely running SymantecRemovalTool through the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh
|Article:TECH103252|||||Created: 2007-01-30|||||Updated: 2008-01-03|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103252|
You want to uninstall all Symantec Macintosh products on one or more Mac OS X clients, using the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh server
The SymantecRemovalTool utility can be used to remove all versions of Symantec Macintosh products from your Mac OS X clients.
To removal all Symantec Macintosh products on your client computers, first deploy the SymantecRemovalTool script, and then run the download script command.
- SymantecRemovalTool is provided for your convenience only and is not a supported utility.
- This script removes all files and folders that Symantec OS X products (except Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh files) create. Therefore, you lose all files that reside in those folders, including any that you have created.
- This modification of RemoveSymantecMacFiles requires no user input when run as root.
- This script is designed to be pushed out using Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh or Apple Remote Desktop.
- SymantecRemovalTool does not remove Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh client software.
To deploy the SymantecRemovalTool script:
- Download SymantecRemovalTool.zip.
- Double-click the SymantecRemovalTool.zip file that you downloaded.
- The file is expanded.
- Open the SymantecRemovalTool folder.
- Move the SymantecRemovalTool.command script to a central location, like /Shared Items/Public.
- Open Terminal.
- Type the following to change to the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh Tools directory:
cd "/Library/Application Support/Symantec/SMac/Tools"
- Press Return.
- In Terminal, type the following to run the syminstall package tool and digitally sign the SymantecRemovalTool script:
sudo ./syminstallpackage --script="/Shared Items/Public/SymantecRemovalTool.command" --wrappername=/Library/WebServer/Documents/SymantecRemovalTool.command.tgz --keyid=1
- Press Return.
- Type your administrator password.
- No characters appear.
- Press Return.
- Exit Terminal.
For additional information on how to use the SymInstallPackage tool, please read the SymInstallPackage Reference.
To run the Download Script command
- Open Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh.
- Click Send Commands.
- Choose the clients or groups where you want to send the new preferences.
- Under Send Command Options, click Send command to all clients or Send command to clients and groups checked above.
- Next to Command, choose Download Script.
- Click Specify Preferences.
- On the Install Software page, complete the following information:
- Command Label: The name that you assign to your command. The name appears in the Command log after you issue the command.
- Command Expires: The time period in which the command is active. Enter a number, and then specify the period in days, weeks, or months.
- Command Key ID: The integer by which the public key is identified at both the server and the client.
- Key Password: The password that corresponds to your Key ID.
- Script Package URL: An FTP or HTTP address from which the client downloads the desired Script Package.
- Click Command.
Example of step 7:
- Command Label:Remove All SymSoftware from iMac G5
- Command Expires: 1 Day
- Command Key ID: 1
- Key Password: ********
- Script Package URL: http ://192.168.0.1/SymantecRemovalTool.command.tgz
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103252