Updating Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh virus definition files using Intelligent Updater
|Article:TECH103549|||||Created: 2007-01-30|||||Updated: 2012-01-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103549|
This document describes how to download and use Intelligent Updater (IU) to update the virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh or for the newer Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh.
Intelligent Updater virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh and Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh should be downloaded directly to your computer.
Download virus definition updates for Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh/Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh:
- Open the Security Response AntiVirus for Macintosh Virus Definitions page.
- On the download page, locate the appropriate download for your version of the product, and the type of processor (Intel or PowerPC).
For SAV for Mac and SEP for Mac on Mac OS X, Intel processor, look for NavM_Intel_Installer_[timestamp]_US.zip
For SAV for Mac and SEP for Mac on Mac OS X, PowerPC processor, look for NavM9_Installer_[timestamp]_US.zip
Where [timestamp] is a date expressed as YYYYMMDD.
- Click on the appropriate file to start the download. If you are prompted to either open or save the file, choose Save. The file is downloaded and saved to your default download location.
- Go to your default download location, and then double-click the zip file you downloaded.
For definitions for Intel machines, an installation package called SymantecAVDefs_Intel.pkg is extracted.
For definitions for PowerPC machines, an installation package called SymantecAVDefs_ppc.pkg is extracted.
- Double click on the .pkg file. This will launch the virus definition installer. Click Continue (and agree to the license agreement) until you get to the Standard Install screen.
- Click Install. Authenticate with your password when prompted.
- After the virus definitions are successfully updated, click Close.
- You can then delete the downloaded .zip file and the extracted .pkg file if desired.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103549