How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 and 7.6 client for Windows NT/2000/XP manually
|Article:TECH103664|||||Created: 2007-01-09|||||Updated: 2009-01-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103664|
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 and 7.6 client for Windows NT/2000/XP manually Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 and 7.6 client for Windows NT/2000/XP manually How to remove Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 and 7.6 client for Windows NT/2000/XP manually Removing Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 and 7.6 client for Windows NT/2000/XP manually
If you use Windows 95/98/Me, read How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.x client for Windows 95/98/Me manually.
The easiest way to remove Norton AntiVirus client from a Windows NT/2000/XP computer is to run the uninstaller program from Add/Remove Programs in the
Windows Control Panel. If you cannot remove the program this way, then it must be removed from these three places:
- The registry
- The Start menu
- The hard drive
Stop the following services before removing items from the registry, Start menu, or the hard drive:
- Norton AntiVirus Client
Note: You must have administrator permissions (read and write) to edit the registry.
WARNING: In the next steps you will edit the Windows registry. Back up the registry before you make any changes to it, because incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the registry keys that are specified.
For instructions, see How to back up the Windows registry.
To remove Norton AntiVirus from the registry
- 1. Delete the following key:
- Norton AntiVirus Client
- Norton AntiVirus Server
This key is not expected on a Norton AntiVirus client, but delete it if it is present.
- Norton AntiVirus
- NAVCEClient Number
2. Navigate to the following subkey:
In the left pane, delete the following keys:
4. Go to the following key:
5. In the left pane, delete the following keys:
7. Go to the following key:
8. In the right pane, delete the following values:
10. On the Edit menu, click Find.
11. Search for the following string, and delete any keys or values found:
12. In the left pane, click My Computer.
13. On the Edit menu, click Find.
14. Search for the following string, and delete any keys or values found:
15. Delete the following key:
16. Delete the following value:
17. If no other Symantec products that use virus definitions are installed, delete the following key:
18. Exit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Norton AntiVirus is now disabled, even though traces of it remain in the registry. These traces have little impact on how your computer operates. It is not necessary to remove them.
To remove Norton AntiVirus from the Start menu and hard disk
- 1. On the Windows taskbar, right-click Start, and then click Open All Users.
- Windows 2000/XP: Open the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec folder.
- Windows NT 4.0: Open the C:\Winnt\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Symantec folder.
- If Norton AntiVirus is the only Symantec product installed, delete the Symantec folder.
- If other Symantec products are installed, delete the Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition folder.
2. Double-click Programs.
3. Right-click the Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition folder, and then click Delete.
4. In Windows Explorer, open the Program Files folder.
5. Right-click the NAVNT or NAV folder, and then click Delete.
6. Do one of the following, depending on your version of Windows:
9. Exit Windows Explorer.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH103664