Differences between Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh Corporate Edition and Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh
|Article:TECH104880|||||Created: 2008-01-07|||||Updated: 2008-01-18|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104880|
What are major differences between the Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh Corporate Edition and Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh?
Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh
Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh Corporate Edition provides a solution to manage client systems from the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh (SACM) running under Mac OS X Server. The SACM sends commands to the managed client systems running the SACM Admin client and listens for status changes from the clients. A client version of Symantec AntiVirus for use on individual workstations is included, which features a scaled-down user interface and limited configuration ability at the workstation level. The configuration of features and options for the client software is designed to be set at the SACM level and then broadcast to users on the network.
- The Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh Corporate Edition includes:
- The Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh (To be installed under Mac OS X Server)
- The Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh Administration Client (To be installed on individual Macintosh workstations)
- The Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh application
- Symantec Auto-Protect
- Symantec Scheduler
- Symantec QuickMenu
- Symantec Auto-Protect and Symantec QuickMenu Preference Panes
- Symantec Uninstaller
- SACM Client Uninstaller
- Symantec AntiVirus User Guide
- Symantec Administration Console Admin Guide
- Symantec Administration Console Install Guide
Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh
Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh is the consumer level product for AntiVirus and AntiSpyware scanning on an individual Macintosh. This product requires an annual subscription for LiveUpdate virus definitions after the first year of definition updates. As this product is primarily designed to be run by a single user in an unmanaged environment, there are more configuration options available via the user interface than with the Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh Corporate Edition.
- Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh includes:
- The Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh application
- Norton Auto-Protect
- Norton QuickMenu
- Norton Auto-Protect and QuickMenu Preference Panes
- Symantec Alerts Widget for the Mac OS X Dashboard
- Norton AntiVirus User Guide
Please note that there is a version of Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh available for corporate use that will not trigger the annual LiveUpdate subscription key request. This version should not be considered for use in a large or a wide scale deployment in a corporate environment and a network administrator will want to evaluate Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh instead. Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh is not supported in conjunction with the SACM and SACM Administration Client to send commands to the workstations using Norton AntiVirus from a SACM system.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104880