How to restore/retain client-server SEP communication using custom installation settings without having to use the sylink drop tool.
|Article:TECH104955|||||Created: 2008-01-20|||||Updated: 2011-10-19|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104955|
Having migrated the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) to a new version, the clients did not migrate automatically and moving the existing SEP clients to the new version using the Migration and Deployment Wizard caused a loss of communication to multiple SEP clients and running the sylink drop tool on each machine is not feasible.
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients lost communication with the SEPM on multiple machines. Or after deploying a new MR or MP version of SEP to the clients using the Migration & Deployment wizard and now the clients no longer communicate with the SEPM.
Attempts to deploy a client over an existing client install, the software will detect the existing sylink.xml file and not overwrite it unless specifically set up to do so with a custom install setting to clear out the old communication settings and log files.
To create custom installation settings to restore client-server communication, please follow the steps outlined below:
- In the SEPM, click on Admin.
- Click on Install Packages.
- Click on Client Install Settings.
- Click on Add Client Install Settings...
- In the Client Install Settings window, at the bottom, note the option "Upgrade settings", Choose the "Remove all previous logs and policies, and reset the communication settings" option and click OK.
- Export a new Client Install Package and apply this new custom install setting to that package, then re-deploy to the client machines using the Migration and Deployment Wizard.
After the custom installation settings are created and saved, the installation package is ready to deploy to the clients. Follow the steps below:
- Launch the Migration and Deployment Wizard by going to Start > All Programs >Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager > Migration and Deployment Wizard.
- Select Next at the "Welcome" screen,
- Ensure Deploy the client is enabled and click Next.
- Enable the "Select an existing client install package to deploy", and then click Finish.
- In the "Push Deployment Wizard", click the Browse button.
- In the "Browse for Folder" dialog box, navigate to and open the folder where the exported installation package is saved to, and select the subfolder.
- Click OK, and then click Next.
- In the "Select one or more computers... screen", either:
- Drill down into the "Microsoft Windows Network" to Add workstations to the "Computers to deploy to" pane.
- Click the Add or Import Computer button and select the computers based upon "IP Address" or "Host name." (A text file list populated with either Host names or IP Addresses can also be used here.)
Once all desired workstations are added to the "Computers to deploy" pane, click Finish. A progress indicator appears as the Symantec Endpoint Protection software is deployed.
The Symantec Endpoint Protection software will now install automatically to the workstations.
How to Deploy Symantec Endpoint Protection to your client machines using the Migration and Deployment Wizard
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104955