How to add "Replication Partners" and Schedule Replication
|Article:TECH104986|||||Created: 2008-01-22|||||Updated: 2011-10-12|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104986|
You would like to know how to add "Replication Partners" and schedule replication
Replication configurations are supported with both embedded and Microsoft SQL Server databases. Replication configurations are used for redundancy. Data from one database is replicated (duplicated) on another database. If one database fails, you can still manage and control all clients because the other database contains the client information. Installing and configuring servers for replication is a two-part process. In an existing installation site, you first install a new Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and database for replication with an existing manager. Second, you log on to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and select and schedule the items to replicate.
When you select the items to replicate, you can choose logs and packages. Packages also include the updates to virus definitions, client components, and client software. The size of packages and updates can grow to several gigabytes of information if you download updates in multiple languages. You must consider the amount of data you replicate when you select these options, along with the bandwidth consumption. One client package is generally 180 MB in size when compressed.
Multiple sites are called a site farm when they are set up as replication partners. You can add any site on the site farm as a replication partner to another already present site and you can also re-add a replication partner that was previously deleted (for example, prior to an upgrade).
You can set up data replication during the initial installation or at a later time.
Before you begin, you need to have the IP address or host name of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager for which you want to make a replication partner.
Follow the steps below to add a replication partner
- On the machine you wish to be a replication partner, install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
- In the Management Server Configuration Wizard panel, choose Advanced rather than Simple.
- Select the number of clients you expect the server to manage, and then click Next.
Note: This panel is displayed only when installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on the computer for the first time.
- Check Install an additional site, and then click Next.
- In the Server Information panel, accept or change the default values, and then click Next.
- Accept or change the name in the Site Name box, and then click Next.
- In the Replication Information panel, type values in the following boxes:
Replication Server Name The name or IP address of the remote Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
Replication Server Port The default value is 8443
Administrator Name The account name that is used to log on to the console with administrator user rights
Password Provide a password that is associated with the Administrator Name that is specified
- Click Next.
- In the Certificate Warning dialog box, click Yes.
- In the Database Server Choice panel, choose one of the following and click Next
Microsoft SQL Server
- If you chose Embedded Database in the above step, then continue with these steps, if you chose Microsoft SQL Server, move to step 14.
- In the admin user panel, provide and confirm a password for the admin account. Optionally, provide an administrator email address.
- Move to step 19
- Do one of the following:
If the database does not exist, check Create a new database (recommended).
If the database exists, check Use an existing database.
An existing database must define file groups PRIMARY, FG_CONTENT, FG_LOGINFO, FG_RPTINFO, and FG_INDEX. The user account for database access must have privileges db_ddladmin, db_datareader, and db_datawriter.
If these requirements are not met, your installation fails. A best practice is to define a new database.
- Click Next
- In the Microsoft SQL Server Information panel, type your values for the following boxes:
If you created a new instance, the format is servername_or_IPaddress\instance_name.
SQL server port
Confirm password (only when creating a new database)
SQL Client folder
DBA user (only when creating a new database)
DBA password (only when creating a new database)
Database data folder
- Click Next
- Provide and confirm a password for the admin account. Optionally, provide an administrator email address.
- Click Next
Configuring the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager for replication
You use the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console to configure servers for replication. The administrator logon credentials are the credentials that are used at the first site that you specify for replication.
To configure the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager for replication
- On the computer on which you installed the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager as an additional site, log on to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console.
- In the console, click Admin, and then click Servers.
- Under View Server, expand Local Site, expand Replication Partner, right-click Site <remote_host>
, and then click Edit Properties.
- In the Replication Partner Properties dialog box, set the options that you want for logs, packages, and replication frequency, and then click OK.
Refer to context-sensitive Help and the Administration Guide for Symantec Endpoint Protection and Symantec Network Access Control for details about these settings.
- Right-click Site <remote_host>
, and then click Replicate Now.
- Click Yes.
- Click OK.
To add a replication partner when a site has already been replicated using the above steps
- Login to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console.
- Click the Admin tab. Under "View Servers", select a site.
- Under "Tasks", click Add Replication Partner. The Add Replication Partner wizard appears.
- Click Next on the "Welcome panel", and then enter the <ip address>
or <host name> of the server that you wish to add as a replication partner.
- Enter the <port number>
and the administrator's user name and password for the remote server on which you installed the SEPM.
Note: The default setting for the remote server port is 8443.
- Click Next to invoke the "Schedule Replication" dialog box
- Disable "Autoreplicate" to set up a custom schedule for replication:
- Select the hourly, daily, or weekly Replication Frequency.
- Select the specific day during which you want replication to occur in the Day of Week list to set up a weekly schedule.
- Click Next when the replication schedule is configured as desired.
- Click Yes or No depending on whether or not you want to replicate logs.
Note: The default setting is No.
- Click Next and then click Finish. The replication partner site is added under Replication Partners on the Admin page.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104986