Creating an installation package for unmanaged clients with custom policies.
|Article:TECH105320|||||Created: 2008-01-07|||||Updated: 2009-01-18|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105320|
There is a need to create an installation package for an unmanaged client using policies created in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM).
Custom policies are not installed when pushing out an unmanaged client.
Create a custom policy and export the installation package using the following steps,
- Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
- Select Clients.
- Click on Add Group.
- Name the group (Example - "Test Group").
- Click on the Policies tab.
- Uncheck "Inherit policies and settings from parent group Global".
- Create the policies for each SEP components:
- Intrusion Prevention
- Application and Device Control
- Live Update (Please Note: the default LiveUpdate policy should not be used as it restricts the user from running LiveUpdate.)
- Create Locations (if desired) and create policies specific to those locations.
- For each location, under Location-Specific Settings , verify Client User Interface Control Settings are set to "Server".
- NOTE: In "Client control" or "Mixed Control" mode, the custom firewall policy is not used and instead a client default firewall policy is used. To allow users to configure their own Firewall rules choose Mixed Control and then choose which options the clients are able to configure. Verify that all Network Threat Protection options are allowed.
- Click on Admin tab in the left hand pane.
- Click on Install Packages.
- Click on Client Install Packages.
- Click on Export Client Install Packages.
- Select folder to export to or desktop.
- Make sure Create a single .EXE file for this package button is checked.
- Under Policy Settings choose Select Export an Unmanaged client.
- Under Export packages with policies from the following groups, select the group that was created in step #4.
- Under Preferred Policy Mode, choose "Computer Mode"
- Click OK.
The Exporting Package window appears with a status bar. Wait until the status is complete. The folder that is created in the path specified will contain one setup.exe icon. This folder can now be copied to disk or website for distribution.
NOTE: Creating this installation package with custom policies from the Manager locks the user's ability to change or configure settings from the user interface.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105320