Disabling the LiveUpdate button within the SEP client UI on an unmanaged SEP client
|Article:TECH105398|||||Created: 2008-01-16|||||Updated: 2010-08-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105398|
You want to disable the LiveUpdate button within the unmanaged Symantec Endpoint Protection client user interface so that users can not run LiveUpdate by clicking that button.
This procedure is for unmanaged Symantec Endpoint Protection clients only. Disabling this button on managed Symantec Endpoint Protection clients should by done by modifying the client's policy on the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
Follow the below steps to disable the LiveUpdate button within an unmanaged Symantec Endpoint Protection client's user interface.
Note: Symantec recommends that you backup the Windows Registry before proceeding.
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Type in: regedit
- Click OK
- In the Registry Editor go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMANTEC\SYMANTEC ENDPOINT PROTECTION\LIVEUPDATE.
- In the right pane, locate the String Value AllowManualLiveUpdate
- If the String Value AllowManualLiveUpdate is not present, then you need to create it. You can do this by right-clicking in a blank area of the pane, clicking New, and clicking DWORD Value. Name the new value AllowManualLiveUpdate.
- Double click AllowManualLiveUpdate and change the Value data to 0
- Click OK
- Close the Registry editor
- Open the SEP client GUI and verify that the LiveUpdate button is disabled.
Should you ever want to enable access to the LiveUpdate button with the unmanaged Symantec Endpoint Protection client user interface, you may modify the AllowManualLiveUpdate registry key and change the Value data to 1.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105398