Error: "Unable to attach to specified device" when connecting to a host
|Article:TECH108082|||||Created: 2002-01-05|||||Updated: 2008-01-13|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH108082|
When you try to connect to the host by launching the remote, you see the error message "Unable to attach to specified device."
This error means that pcAnywhere could not make a connection to the host. There are several steps to troubleshooting this issue. The troubleshooting steps are broken down by cause. If a particular step does not apply to your situation, you can skip those sections:
- If you are using a router, you must first configure the router to allow the pcAnywhere information to pass by using port forwarding. If you have not, see the document Cannot connect to a pcAnywhere host through a router.
- If you think you have configured the router successfully, you can verify this by testing for open ports. See the document How to remotely verify if a router's ports are open. If the ports are not open, you must configure the router to use port forwarding. See the document Cannot connect to a pcAnywhere host through a router.
- You will see this error if the host uses a line that also has voice mail. You must either use a different line or disable your voicemail.
- You will see this error if the line the host is on requires you to dial an extension, and you haven't set up the dialing properties to account for one. You can modify the dialing properties to include an extension by adding commas. Each comma in the phone number will cause a pause of 2 seconds. An example would be 9,1-123-4567,,89. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for voicemail.
- pcAnywhere should answer on the third ring. If you have set this to a higher number of rings, the remote may time out before the host answers the telephone.
- If you have a fax machine on the same line, it may be picking up first. Turn the fax machine or other devices off.
- If you see this error while attempting to make a direct connection, ensure that you set the connection up correctly. See the document that describes the connection that you wish to make:
|Problems at the host|
- If you are trying to connect to a host that uses ZoneAlarm, see the document Error: "Unable to attach to specified device" when using ZoneAlarm.
- If you are trying to connect to a host that uses a Novell Client, see the document Error: "Unable to attach to specified device" when launching a host on a Novell Client.
|Third party conflicts|
- If you are running McAfee ViruScan or Computer Associates' InoculateIT! see the document pcAnywhere remote cannot connect to host successfully while McAfee ViruScan or Computer Associates' InoculateIT! is running.
- If you are running some other third party remote control software, you may need to uninstall it.
- Connection problems can also be caused by conflicts with your video card driver. See the document How to troubleshoot pcAnywhere video problems for more information.
Additional related information
- No response when searching for pcAnywhere hosts over the Internet
- Not all TCP/IP hosts appear in the pcAnywhere remote's browse list
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH108082