Error 20077: "Please register Ghost before attempting this operation"
|Article:TECH108721|||||Created: 2004-01-08|||||Updated: 2010-01-18|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH108721|
When using Ghost, you see "Error 20077: Please register Ghost before attempting this operation."
To solve this problem, make sure that all copies of Ghost.exe are registered, and that all versions are identical.
To redeploy the Ghost.exe to a client
If you see this error message when running a task using the Ghost Console, delete the Ghost.exe file from each client where the problem occurs, then re-run the task. The Console will send the current copy of Ghost.exe to the clients. If this does not resolve the error, delete the virtpart.dat file on the workstation at the root of c:\ (this is a hidden protected operating system file). Assign the clone task again. This will create a new virtual partition.
If the problem still occurs, continue with the rest of the document to replace the copy of Ghost.exe on the Console with a registered copy.
One solution is to do a re-install of the Ghost Solution Suite Console and Standard Tools:
- Backup the database, by going to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\scripts and running backupdb.wsf. (This creates a backup file and folder in My Documents)
- Uninstall Ghost Solution Suite in Add/Remove programs. Delete the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Symantec\Ghost.
- Re-install Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 Console and Standard Tools from the installation file or CD.
- Run the shortcut Restore Latest Backup at in \My Documents\GSSBackup.
- Open and attempt the task from the console, or create a new boot disk.
To manually register Ghost.exe
- Copy both Ghost.exe and Ghost.env from the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost folder to a floppy disk.
- Boot the computer to DOS.
- At the DOS prompt, type:
and then press Enter.
- Press Ctrl+C to exit Ghost.
To copy the registered version of Ghost to the Console
- Boot the computer into Windows.
- Close the Ghost Console, if it is open.
- Click Start > Run.
"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ngserver.exe" -stop
including the quotes ("), and then click OK.
The drive letter and path might be different on your computer.
- In Windows Explorer, go to the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost folder.
- Find and delete Ghost.env and Ghost.exe.
- Copy the Ghost.env and Ghost.exe from the floppy you created earlier to the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost folder.
- Restart the Console or reboot the computer.
You should now be able to create boot disks using the Ghost Boot Wizard and run Console tasks without seeing the error message.
If problem persists after following that above suggestion,
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH108721