How to import MS-DOS into Symantec Ghost
|Article:TECH109693|||||Created: 2007-01-16|||||Updated: 2013-10-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH109693|
Symantec Ghost comes with PC-DOS. In the event that you need MS-DOS, consider the information below.
In order to add MS-DOS into Ghost, you would need a floppy disk formatted by a computer running Windows 95 or Windows 98. If you do not have such a computer, it would be best to use a different method such as Windows PE. See the section on References.
Note: You will need access to a computer that has a floppy disk drive. This does not have to be the computer running the Ghost Console.
To add MS-DOS into Symantec Ghost 7.x, 8.x, or 11.x, follow these steps.
- Format a floppy disk using a computer that runs Windows 95 or Windows 98. You must specify that you want to include the MS-DOS files.
- If the computer running the Ghost Console has a floppy disk drive, take the floppy to that computer. Otherwise, copy the files from the floppy drive to a temporary folder on the computer running the Ghost Console.
- Start the Ghost Console.
- Click on Tools> Boot Wizard> Network Boot Package> Next> Select any NIC template> Next.
- Select Get MS-DOS.
- If you have a floppy drive on the machine, skip to step 14.
- Select 'From Directory.'
- Click on OK.
- Browse to the folder where you saved the files from the floppy disk created in step 4.
- Click on OK, and OK. Skip to step 17.
- Insert the floppy disk.
- Select 'From Floppy Disk.'
- Click on OK.
- Click on Cancel to exit the wizard.
- Return to the Ghost Console.
- Locate the machine that you want to run MS-DOS in the machine groups.
- Right click on the machine name and select Properties.
- Click on the Client tab.
- Specify MS-DOS.
- Click on OK. The machine will now be set to use MS-DOS instead of PC-DOS. This must be done one machine at a time.
- Note: With Ghost 11.x and older, there is no way to configure a group of computers to use MS-DOS without making the modification of each machine properties by hand.
For information about using Windows PE, check the links below:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH109693