After restoring a disk image, you are unable to install Windows Updates
|Article:TECH110188|||||Created: 2008-01-16|||||Updated: 2012-03-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH110188|
After restoring a disk image, you find that you are unable to download Microsoft updates from the Windows Update website.
This could have several different causes. Investigate the following possible causes:
- The SID on the computer that received the image was not changed and matches that of the model computer that was used to create the image. If the SID is the same on two machines, you might have problems with the Windows Update site.
- Verify that your copy of Windows has been activated.
- Verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and passes the Microsoft validation.
- Manually apply the latest service pack and then revisit the Windows Update site to see if the problem is corrected.
- Verify that the time, timezone, and date on the computer that received the image is accurate.
- Update to the latest version of Internet Explorer.
If you continue to have problems with the Windows Update site, please contact Microsoft at:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH110188