Manually installing a LiveUpdate package to Symantec Network Security
|Article:TECH112523|||||Created: 2004-01-23|||||Updated: 2008-01-23|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH112523|
This document describes how to manually install an update to Symantec Network Security. This procedure is useful when the Network Security console and appliance or node do not have access to a LiveUpdate server.
To manually install an update, obtain the update package and then run the luapply command to install it.
Before you begin: If you use an internal LiveUpdate server to obtain the LiveUpdate package, ensure that you obtain the latest update for the LiveUpdate Administration Utility before proceeding. The latest update adds Symantec Network Security to the Symantec Product Line list in LiveUpdate. For more information on creating an Internal LiveUpdate, see the document How to Configure the Liveupdate Administration Utility : http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2000100610540448
To manually install the package
- At a computer that has access to the Internet or access to an internal LiveUpdate server, run LiveUpdate to obtain the update package.
The LiveUpdate server can be a Symantec LiveUpdate server, which is accessible through the Internet, or an internal LiveUpdate server, which obtains update packages through the Internet. For more information about internal LiveUpdate servers and the LiveUpdate Administration Utility (LUAdmin), read Current version of LiveUpdate Administrator.
- Copy the files from that computer to the appliance or node:
- At the appliance or node, copy the files by means of secure copy from that computer to the appliance or node.
- Or, if copying the files from an Internal LiveUpdate server, you can run Java LiveUpdate at the appliance or node to obtain the files. For information, read How to configure Java LiveUpdate to download updates from an internal server
- At the appliance or node, use the luapply command at a command prompt to copy the update files to the /tmp directory.
The command line format is:
# /usr/SNS/tools/luapply /tmp/
For instance, the following command line installs Patch 1:
# /usr/SNS/tools/luapply /tmp/enmp1ap92004081101.xvc.zip
How to determine if the LiveUpdate Administration Utility is needed on your network
SNS 7100 cannot get updates from an internal LiveUpdate server
Verify a successful installation
To verify that the update installed successfully, open the Network Security console and click the icon for the node to which you installed the update. The console displays the SNS version. For instance, after a successful installation of Patch 1, the console displays the following text:
SNS Version 188.8.131.52
Schedule manual updates
You can schedule the LiveUpdate Administrator utility to automatically download updates for Symantec Network Security. After you download updates once, use the Windows Task Scheduler to run LUAdmin.exe with the -silent switch. The -silent switch uses the same options that you used when you downloaded updates the first time. For instructions, read How to Schedule LiveUpdate Administrator using a Task Scheduler.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH112523