Release Notes for Symantec RapidFire Updates v8.00
|Article:TECH113307|||||Created: 2006-01-14|||||Updated: 2006-01-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH113307|
RapidFire Updates provides bv-Control products with the latest vulnerability assessment queries and service packs through the Web. These updates can be download either manually or automatically.
RapidFire Updates allows you to:
- List new available updates
- Create a schedule to download updates automatically
- Use accelerated download mode
- download and apply updates manually
- View RapidFire Updates download history
This version of RapidFire Updates is not compatible with bv-Control for UNIX and bv-Control for Internet Security. Therefore, you should continue using RapidFire Updates provided by bv-Control for UNIX and bv-Control for Internet Security.
RapidFire Updates has minimum system requirements for installation and use. Before installing RapidFire Updates, make sure that your system meets these requirements.
The following recommended requirements include the requirements for the RMS Console:
- Pentium® II 450 MHz
- 512 MB RAM
- 300 MB of free disk space
- SVGA monitor that supports 256 colors with the display set to 800 x 600 pixels
- Microsoft® Windows® 2000 SP3 (server or workstation), Windows XP® Professional SP1, or Windows Server™ 2003 or later
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or later
- Microsoft® Outlook® 2000 or Novell® GroupWise® 5.5, Lotus Notes® v5.0 or Lotus Domino (only required for e-mailing export files)
- Microsoft® Excel (required for Excel (using OLE) export files)
- Client for Microsoft® Networks
- Pentium III 800 MHz
- 512 MB RAM
- 500 MB of free disk space
- Microsoft Windows 2000 SP3 (server or workstation), Windows XP Professional SP1, or Windows Server 2003 or later.
- Microsoft SQL Server v7.0 or 2000, or Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE) v1.0 or 2000
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or later
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 or Novell GroupWise 5.5, Lotus Notes v5.0 or Lotus Domino (only required for e-mailing export files)
- Microsoft Excel (required for Excel (using OLE) export files)
- Client for Microsoft Networks
- BindView RMS Console v8.00
- Task Scheduler service running on the BindView Information Server for automatic RapidFire Updates
- Internet Access on the BindView Information Server
- MSXML3 installed on both, RMS Console and Information Server machines. You can install MSXML3 from the '3rdParty' folder located on the RapidFire Updates installation CD.
We recommend that you review the following notes before using RapidFire Updates with the RMS Console:
- We recommend that you install MSXML3 or later, on both the RMS Console and the Information Server machines. Failing to do so may result in a few of the RapidFire Updates features not functioning correctly. You can install MSXML3 from the '3rdParty' folder located on the RapidFire Updates installation CD.
- When the Information Server is installed on a computer which is a domain member and RMS Console is installed on a computer in a workgroup, to successfully view Available Updates and access Global Coniguration dialog, the user account created on the Information Server computer for installing RMS Console needs to be a member of BV Console Admins local group of that computer.
- An additional setting is required for Microsoft Windows 2003: When RapidFire Updates client is installed on Windows 2003 and Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled, clicking on Available Updates or Download History node may pop up a dialog mentioning Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. For RapidFire Updates to work on Windows 2003, you need to add the following link in the trusted sites zone if it is not already added.
You can do this by clicking the Add button on the Internet Explorer dialog.
- If all RapidFire clients are uninstalled and automatic updates have been set earlier, then automatic updates will still continue. To resolve this issue, before uninstalling the RapidFire client turn off automatic updates.
- If an administrator has selected to download some packages that have also been requested by another administrator, then only the first request is queued. In case the first administrator cancels the download, the other administrators are not notified about the cancellation.
- Task Lists execution: If a Task List is published in an update, after download, it will appear in the Usage Notes in Download History. If however, upon clicking its link in the Download History, it does not get added to the Task Status dialog within several minutes, the user should browse to the location (under Risk Assessment and Control folder in the RMS Console), as specified in the Usage Notes, and run the Task List from there.
New features in RapidFire Updates v8.00
The following enhancements have been applied to RapidFire Updates:
- Support was added for downloading task lists published on RapidFire Updates Web site.
- Internationalization support.
- Not allowing viewing/download of updates if RapidFire Updates Web site is configured to be down for maintenance purposes.
- Updates marked as Critical will have an additional icon displayed next to them on the Available Updates panel as well as the Download History panel.
- You can now sort the updates by Criticality on the Available Updates page as well as the Download History panel.
- Support was added for Basic and Digest proxy authentication methods in addition to the previously supported Integrated authentication method.
- If an update published on RapidFire Updates Web site has a detailed description specified, the RapidFire Updates client will display a hyperlink Show details for the update on the Available Updates panel. Clicking the hyperlink will lead you to the detailed description. Similar behavior will be observed on the Download History panel upon download of the update.
- If a pre-defined report update published on the RapidFire Updates Web site has a Readme file specified, the RapidFire Updates client will display a hyperlink View Readme for the update on the Available Updates panel. Clicking the hyperlink will lead you to the readme file in the browser window. Similar behavior will be observed on the Download History panel upon download of the update.
Your BindView product CD contains the RapidFire Updates User Guide in Adobe® Acrobat® .pdf file format.
The BindView RapidFire Updates User Guide contains information about RapidFire Updates and about the RMS Console and Information Server. If you upgrade the RMS Console and Information Server, you should consult the BindView RMS Console and Information Server User Guide for information about the new version of the Console.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH113307