Release notes for Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange
|Article:TECH122809|||||Created: 2010-01-28|||||Updated: 2014-01-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH122809|
Release Notes - Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange
October 1st, 2012
Included in this release notes page are:
- What's New in Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange (see Microsoft article Microsoft Support Policies and Recommendations for Exchange Servers in Hardware Virtualization Environments for details on Exchange in a virtual environment).
- Useful Documentation
- Upgrade Notes
- Operating System Support
- Known Issues
- Resolved Issues
What's New in Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange
6.5.8 -- Build 188.8.131.525
- SMSMSE no longer uses hyperthreaded CPUs in its initial calculation of VSAPI scan threads and processes. See Calculating the number of scan processes and scan threads for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) for details on this formula.
6.5.5 -- Build 184.108.40.206
- SMSMSE now performs transport scanning in memory. See 'About Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) in Memory Transport Scanning' for details and configuration options.
- SMSMSE can now highlight the term(s) that triggered a content filtering rule. See 'How to Configure Notification Emails to Contain Which Match Term Caused an Email Quarantine' for details.
6.5.0 -- Build 220.127.116.11
- Symantec Mail Security will incorporate Exchange Server 2010 Support
- VMware and Hyper-V Virtualization Support
- Enhanced installation error dialogue with web links
- Quarantine Notification enhancements
- 24% reduction in install package size
- Performance enhancements:
- Auto-Protect Disk I/O reduction (up to 15%)
- Premium Antispam memory and CPU optimization (up to 30%)
- Premium Antispam increased throughput (up to 15%)
- About the Fastpass performance enhancement feature in Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange
- LDAP Caching for increased performance when evaluating content filtering rules with user conditions (6.5.2 and later) see KB Details about the User Address caching feature of Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE)
Support status of SMSMSE versions: Version support status information
Pre-Install FAQ: Pre-install FAQ for Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange
Post-Install FAQ: Post-install FAQ for Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange
Remote Installation: Installing Mail Security on a remote server/Customizing remote server installation settings
Documentation: SMSMSE 6.5 documentation
See the following article: About upgrading to Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange from a previous version.
- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange supports all Microsoft Exchange Rollups.
- .NET Framework version 2.0 is required on Exchange 2007/2003. .NET framework version 3.5 is required on Exchange 2010. For detailed system requirements, read the document for your version of Microsoft Exchange:
- You can import settings from SMSMSE 6.0.x into SMSMSE 6.5. You cannot import settings from SMSMSE 5.x or earlier. When you upgrade from SMSMSE 5,x, most settings are preserved. About upgrading to Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange from a previous version
- Adding 5.0 or earlier servers to the 6.5 console is not supported. You can install the 6.5 console in tandem with the 5.0 and 4.6 consoles to support management of multiple versions of servers
- You can install SMSMSE remotely through the console. For details, read "About installing Mail Security on remote servers" in the Implementation Guide.
- The service account used for SMSMSE must be a member of the local administrators group. See article Install error when attempting to install Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange with a user that is not a member of the Administrators group on the Exchange server.
Operating System Support
See this article for support and certification information: Operating System and Exchange Version Support and Certification Matrix.
You can install the Mail Security console on a computer on which Mail Security is not installed. The console installs on the following operating systems:
Windows Server 2003/R2/SP2
Windows Vista 32-bit
Microsoft Windows Server 2008/R2/SP2 Standard and Enterprise Edition
- Updating virus definitions for Symantec Mail Security 6.5 on a x64 machine is performed with LiveUpdate. There is no Intelligent Updater available for this product as explained in this KB:
Intelligent Updater for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 6.x on 64-bit platforms
- Exclusions are needed if Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec AntiVirus is installed on the same computer. Symantec Endpoint Protection automatically excludes the needed folders for Exchange. However, two product directories need to be excluded manually: About automatic exclusions of Microsoft Exchange server files and folders in Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 and Symantec Client Security 3.1
- The process conduit.exe is using high CPU with Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5.2 or Higher
- Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5.5 and Higher Administration Console is Unable to Connect to Remote Server When Remote Server Does not have Internet Access or Some Sites are Blocked While Performing Certificate Revocation Checks
- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5.8 does not detect "Attachment Content" filtering violations
6.5.8 -- Build 18.104.22.1685
- Multiple instances of unscannable PDF files due to "Malformed Container" have been resolved.
- Error: "You either have insufficient permissions to access this application or your user credentials are not refreshed." when attempting to open the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) when CMAF permissions not set correctly
- Error 1935 While Installing Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE): An error occurred during the installation of assembly"
- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) does not deploy settings to multiple servers when Send group settings is checked.
- Email Received by Recipient With Text Replaced by Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) Always Contains "Unknown Violation" for Substitution String %violatingterm%
- Error message while uninstalling 6.5 after uninstall of 6.0 on Windows 7: "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package."
6.5.7 -- Build 22.214.171.1249
- 2329710 - Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) continuously reports Windows application event ID 25 "Updated Virus Definitions" and is not using current virus definitions when multiple copy processes occur at the same time
- 2070186 - Version Displayed in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) Administration Console for 'Currently Available Version' is Incorrect
- 2610384 - Content filtering rules set to trigger based on attachment name appear to catch messages based on subject when Exchange Journaling is used
- 2278296 - AntiSpam Rules Are Not Updated When conduit.exe Hangs And AntiSpam Effectiveness Drops
- 1992232 - After upgrade email sent from Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) may not be received and quarantine threshold settings may have changed
- 1992244 - Error: "You either have insufficient permissions to access this application or your user credentials are not refreshed." when attempting to open the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) when CMAF permissions not set correctly
- 2378133 - Check for ASP.NET pre-requisite so error "Failed to enable ASP.NET web extensions" is not displayed
6.5.6 -- Build 126.96.36.1998
- 2481362 - Microsoft Office 2010 File is Unscannable With Error Message: "Decomposer failed to open the container. at location printerSettings1.bin within printerSettings"
- 2381312 - PowerPoint Documents Called Unscannable by Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5.5 with Decomposer Result 0x11
- Several important defects were fixed in the KeyView filter component used by the attachment content filter module
6.5.5 -- Build 188.8.131.52
- 1673542 - .ZIP files compressed with WinZip 12.x "Best Compression" mode get Unscannable verdict from SMSMSE 5.x and 6.x
- 1924391 - Mailboxes from Remote Servers Displayed for Manual/Scheduled Scans and May Cause Scan Failures
- 1943813 - Email Subject Shows Question Marks (?) Instead of Double Byte characters (DBCS) When Language Identification is Enabled
- 2015878 - Email notification: 'Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange LiveUpdate alert' even though virus definitions are staying up to date
- 2075797 - You are unable to implement Symantec Premium Anti Spam on an Exchange 2007 or 2010 Mailbox Role
- 2080940 - Messages Not Delivered with Error Message "...unhandled exception 'InvalidCharsetException"
- 2114438 - How to Obtain Detailed Logging While Installing Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE)
- 2146907 - Background Scanning Detects Violations Older Than the Time Configured for the Scan
- 2152183 - CaseWare Files are Unscannable With Error Message "CSAPI DEC result: 0xA. A malformed container is detected at location CaseWareDocument" /
QPACK Files are Marked as Unscannable With Error Message "Scan Engine Error. CSAPI DEC result: 0xA. A malformed container is detected.
- 2182812 - Microsoft Office 2010 File is Unscannable With Error Message: "Decomposer failed to open the container. at location printerSettings1.bin within printerSettings"
- 2200766 - Event ID 167, 168, 110, 1000 and 1001 are repeatedly written to the application event log when content filtering is enabled in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5.2 or higher
- 2075598 - Enabling the Blank Subject and Sender Content Filtering rule causes disruption to the Microsoft Exchange mail flow
- 2211007 - PowerPoint Documents Containing Embedded Excel Spreadsheets Marked as Unscannable by Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE)
- 2236061 - Exchange 2003 Email Not Delivered (Dropped) When Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) Returns Error Message "This message has been set as bad mail on the SMTP server"
- 2200759/2220295/2220307 - Email Released from Quarantine With 'Release by mail' is Quarantined Again
- 2258100 - Security Advisories Relating to Symantec Products - Multi-Vendor Autonomy Verity Keyview PRZ Reader Filter Overflow
6.5.2 -- Build 184.108.40.206
- 2202933 - Error Messages in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) log Files When TotalProfiling Settings Missing
6.5.2 -- Build 220.127.116.11
- 2001159 - Memory leak in SAVFMSESp.exe under specfic conditions.
- 1899637 - Suspected corruption in the BM_Rulesets for Premium AntiSpam in the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange product.
- 2075079 - Spam from authenticated SMTP servers is not detected by the Premium AntiSpam in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange.
- 2075093 - Messages not Scanned for Spam When Marked by Microsoft Exchange with an AntiSpam X-Header. Transport Agent Debug Log Shows Message: "Whitelisted by other, bypass SPA"
- 2100369 - Mail flow is very slow or stops entirely when a content filtering rule for Symantec Mail Security for Exchange with a user condition is enabled
- 2104899 - How to cap memory utilization of the SAVFMSESp.exe process in Symantec Mail Security for Micrsofot Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5.2 and later
- 2113613 - How to Reduce Service Startup Time for Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) by Skipping Enumeration of Mailboxes and Public Folders
6.5.1 -- Build 18.104.22.168
- 2036758 - Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5 Experiences Virus Definition Loading Failure Due to Rollback Failure Resulting in Exchange Server Beeping and Windows Events: 110, 168, 68, and 167
- 1882509 - Release From Quarantine by Email Fails From an Exchange 2007/2010 Server Without Access to Active Directory
- 1911447 - Internal messages are treated as inbound in Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange when installed on Exchange 2007
- 1928919 - Unable to release content filtering violations by email When the Original Recipient Contains a Comma (,) in the Email Address
- 1882557 - You receive an email regarding a critical failure in Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
- 2015526 - Some Messages Not Being Scanned for SPAM When Debug Log Shows Error Message: Unable to seperate message headers from content
- 2028561 - Symantec Mail Security For Microsoft Exchange install fails and rolls back with no error.
- 1996305 - Customized Global Groups settings are not migrating properly with SMSMSE 6.0 to SMSMSE 6.5 upgrade
- 2003161 - Remote Upgrade of Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) 6.5 fails with Error Message: The wizard was interrupted before Symantec Mail Security for Exchange could be completely installed
- 2021035 - Added checkbox to GUI for control of Premium AntiSpam fastpass feature
- 2041818 - Error: "User does not have mailbox, please change username or create mailbox for the user" during install of Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange on Exchange 2010
- 1909870 - Troubleshooting LDAP query issues with Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 6.5.1 and later
- 1950071 - The Symantec Mail Security Home page is incomplete
- 1996296 - Error when opening console after migration from SMSMSE 5.0.X to SMSMSE 6.5.0 when SMSMSE 5.0.X had customized Server Group(s)
- 2013631- Remote install to Exchange 2007/2010 hub servers completes successfully without installing preqrequiste of .NET framework
- 2040016 - Content filtering rule with user conditions does not apply as expected during Manual or Scheduled scans with Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
- Support for Exchange 2007 SP3
6.5.0 -- Build 22.214.171.124
- 1508285 - Quarantine Size Limit would sometimes not work correctly
- 1679355 - Variable %server% not working correctly for custom notifications
- 1783101 - Performance counter collection should be configurable
- 1857785 - Application error in the event log "Faulting Application msiexec.exe"
- 1833063 - Refreshing mailbox list and Public folder listings
- 1860504 - Local admin check required for giving RBAC user
- 1871763 - Explanation message does not appear in Deleted attachment text when file type rule set to block .eml attachments
- 1877062 - Attachment content rule is now working for MSG files as attachment
- 1908966 - Failed to enable ASP.NET extensions. Installation will not continue
- 1872380 - Not able to process email for SPAM when missing some header information. See KB Messages Not Being Scanned for SMAP When Debug Log Shows Error Message: Error gathering message data in preparation for SPA processing.
- 1679374 - Add feature to always perform SPAM check regardless of SCL value. See KB "Messages Not Being Scanned for SPAM When Marked by Microsoft Exchange With an SCL Value of minus one 1 (-1). Transport Agent debug log shows message: Whitelisted by other, bypass SPA" for details.
- 1930718 - Specific malformed messages are dropped without NDR when SMSMSE is active. See KB "Exchange 2007 Unable to Send NDR for Thunderbird Messages Created with Malformed MIME".
- 1802515 - Unable to scan PDF, ACE, BZIP2 files. See KB "May not Detect Viruses in the Following File Types: PDF, ACE, and BZIP2 for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) Versions Earlier Than 6.5".
- 1928669 - Settings.xml files reaches 31Mb. Service fails to start.. See KB "The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application <name of the Exchange cluster>
completely online or offline" appears in the Event log after the installation of Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE)"
- 1863947 - Reports not populated with any data when the OS regional settings are Thai. See KB "Reports Contain no Data When Operating System Settings are non-English".
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH122809