How to manually import client packages into Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM)
|Article:TECH122824|||||Created: 2010-01-29|||||Updated: 2014-01-28|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH122824|
How can I add a later-versioned client installation package to a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM), without upgrading to a later version of SEPM?
Note: This process will not work with the SEPM web console. It can only import the package that was exported from it in the ZIP file format.It will not import a .INFO file format package, it's not supported for web console. Web console only can import/export a single file.
To import a newer Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) or Symantec Network Access Control (SNAC) into an older version of SEPM:
- Log into the SEPM Console and select the Admin tab
- Select Install Packages
- Click Add Client Install Package from the Tasks menu
- On the Add Client Install Package dialog:
- Provide a descriptive name for the installation package in the Specify a name for this package text box (i.e. Symantec Endpoint Protection RU6 MP1)
- Click the Browse button
- Navigate to the installation package folder (i.e. SEPM\Packages\ from the installation media)
- Select the .info file associated with the installation package (i.e. SAV32.info, SAV64.info)
- Click the Select button
- Optionally, provide a description of the package in the Description field
- Click the OK button to start the import process
- After a successful import, a status window will be displayed
- Click the Close button to exit the Creating Package dialog.
After a successful import, a "Package is created" event will be logged into the System/Administrative logs. Details will describe this new package with text similar to "Successfully imported the SEP 11 RU7 MP3 32-bit package via Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. This package is now available for deployment."
Note: It is possible to import an executable package (i.e. .exe or .zip file packages) directly, but this is not recommended. The .info file contains extra information that describes the package and ensures proper migration to future builds of the SEP or SNAC client via delta updates.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH122824