How to create and distribute collector and sensor configuration
|Article:TECH123605|||||Created: 2010-01-02|||||Updated: 2010-01-09|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH123605|
Please see article 2010060708545854 for definitions of the terms "Collector Configuration" and "Sensor Configuration".
- This document assumes the collector is properly installed. Review article 2010030111511754 to determine if your on-box collector is installed. Look at article 2010030111511754 to determine if your off-box collector is installed.
Collectors do not do anything until a collector configuration is created, and a sensor configuration is created and distributed to the machine where the collector is installed. Installing a collector does not create a collector or sensor configuration, you must always do this manually for each and every collector you install.
- To create a collector configuration follow these steps:
- Log in to the SSIM client.
- Click System - Product Configurations.
- Open the product you want to create a configuration for.
- Note - The "Default" configuration will always be present, and will not do anything.
- Right click the Product Name (just above Default), click New.
This example shows you how to create a configuration for the Generic collector. You must create a collector configuration for every collector that you want to gather data.
- Click Next, then enter a configuration name.
- Click Next, then click Add.
- Add the machine that has the collector installed, for on-box collectors you will add the Information Manager Appliance itself. If you do not see the desired collector machine on the Computers tab please see article 2010030210130654.
- Click Next, review the settings, then click Finish, then Close.
You should now see a new configuration listed above or below the "Default" configuration entry.
- To verify the collector configuration is distributed to the collector machine follow these steps:
- Right click the Collector configuration you created.
- Click properties.
- Click the Computers tab.
- You should see the collector computer listed. If it is not listed, click Add. If you do not see the desired collector machine available to add, please see this document.
- If it is not present, click the desired Collector computer, click Add then OK.
- To create a sensor configuration follow these steps:
- Click on the Collector configuration you created in the steps above
- Click on the far-right tab, the "Sensor" tab.
- The default configuration will have "Sensor 0" listed.
- Check the box next to the listed sensor.
- If you do not see a sensor listed, click the Add icon at the bottom of the screen to create a new sensor configuration.
- Click on the sensor that is listed.
- On the Sensor tab, enter any sensor property configurations that may be required. The sensor settings vary between sensors and installations, refer to the collector documentation for more information about sensor properties.
Note - After any changes are made to a configuration it must be Distributed. To distribute a configuration, after it is saved, Right click the configuration, then click Distribute
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH123605