In the Backup Exec Utility, the Update Configuration for New Media Server Name option lets an administrator update the name of a media server if it has been changed, without having to re-install Backup Exec. Review the following document below for the steps that are required after changing the media server name.
How to update Backup Exec media server configuration information, including server name and domain name changes.
If the Backup Exec Archiving Option (BEAO) is also installed on the media server, the steps below must be performed after following steps listed in the related link above:
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
1) Open the registry and modify the following keys to reflect the new server name:
\Directory\DirectoryService\ SQLServer Name
2) From the Backup Exec installation directory (Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec), double-click beutility.exe to start the Backup Exec Utility.
3) Select the media server that has been renamed from either Media Server Groups or from All Media Servers.
4) Right-click the media server, and then click Update Media Server for the Archiving Option.
5) After the update operation completes, right-click the media server, and then click Update SQL Server Name for the Archiving Option.
6) Restart all the Backup Exec services .