Step by step installation of the Backup Exec Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers.
|Article:TECH127142|||||Created: 2010-01-07|||||Updated: 2014-11-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127142|
Steps by step installation of the Backup Exec Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers.
Note: RMAL is an additionally purchased option and is enabled by installing the RMAL serial numbers on the Backup Exec media server.
1. On a LINUX host, download the installation files from the Symantec support site for your version of Backup Exec.
2. Connect to the target host using a terminal session or Log On locally with super user, root, or administrator privileges.
3. Extract the contents of the installation files that were downloaded in Step 1 using the following command Figure 1a below:
- From the root run the following command
- Run "tar xvf BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-SAP_AGENTS.tar"
- After the files are extracted run ./installrmal
- The installation screen appears:
Type the LINUX server IP address or Hostname and press Enter as shown in Figure above.
- Press Enter to continue on the emerging Screens
- Enter the IP Address of the Media Server on the Remote Agent Media Server Configuration screen :
- Verify the IP Address of the Media Server and hit enter to continue :
- The installation utility will now ask to create "beoper" group as shown
- If the beoper group is not found, the installation utility will ask to create one, press Enter to continue:
- Installation utility will now prompt to specify any specific Group ID, Press Enter to continue "Default option is set to (n)"
NOTE: Group ID: All Linux users have a user ID and a group ID and a unique numerical identification number called a userid (UID) and a groupid (GID) respectively. Groups can be assigned to logically tie users together for a common security, privilege and access purpose. Its recommended not to assign any Group ID.
- Note the "beoper" group has been created successfully as shown
- Installation utility will now ask to add the user root to the beoper group press Enter to continue
User root has been successfully added to the beoper group
- Installation utility shows successful installation of RMAL, press Enter to continue
- The RALUS configuration has also completed successfully, press Enter to continue
- Now it lists with a path for a few log files created during installation
- Start the agent using the following command /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start
To stop the agent use the following command /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init stop
- Further, to configure the Virtual tape Library on the Linux Server, refer link given below:
How to use the Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers and create a Virtual Tape Library with Backup Exec for Windows Server - www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74381
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127142