What to provide for a Backup Exec Support Case.
|Article:TECH128468|||||Created: 2010-01-06|||||Updated: 2014-03-20|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128468|
An installation, backup, or restore job fails to complete successfully and a support case potentially needs to be opened for the issue.
Below are the some initial items to provide to Support to help resolve an issue quickly.
1. What is the Issue or Question?
2. What is the Error message?
3. Has this ever worked before?
4. Does a similar job/function work or does it also fail?
5. Update Backup Exec (BE). Run Live Update twice and make sure all updates are applied.
How to update Backup Exec - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66724
6. Download and run the BE Support Tool. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126539
a. Login to the server as the User ID the Backup Exec services are running as (with the exception of the Remote Agent, which runs as Local System Account).
b. Resolve any issues found and run the tool again.
c. Have the results ready to submit support if a case has to be opened.
7. For Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) reproduce the issue and send the related logs.
8. After updating BE, any Remote Agents (RAWS) will need the updates applied with a Push or Local install.
9. Next set debug on BE and the Remote Servers. Use the How to Debug Backup Exec document for the steps - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH202075
10. Run the job and reproduce the issue.
11. Send the Job Log -
12. Send a log collection from Each Server.
Use the BE Support Tool to collect and FTP the logs.
BE Support Tool - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126539
Older BE versions can use the VXGather tool - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87299
Both utilities have selections for the log collections. In addition to the default selections, add selections for the type of job being done.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128468