For NetBackup 7.0 (GA) capturing a Bare Metal Restore client configuration required that the client "bmrsavecfg" process connect back to the NetBackup/Bare Metal Restore Master Server. NetBackup 7.0.1 and later releases of NetBackup dropped this as a required operation for client configuration creation. This error condition is specific to this relese only.
If this connection from the client to the master server fails the parent job will complete with Status 1 and the detailed status of the parent job in the Activity Monitor will report:
BMRERR: Received BMR error: Failed to import Config fle. (1)
BMRERR: Received BMR error: Failed sending the discovery. (1)
BMRERR: Received BMR error: BMR information discovery failed. (1)
Executing the following command on the client:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bmrsavecfg.exe -infoonly
V-128-749 Operation failed due to network problem.
The unified logging for bmrsavecfg (OID 121) on the client at debuglevel 5 generates the following entries when executing a BMR Option enabled backup or when executing "bmrsavecfg.exe -infonly" on the client:
5/17/2010 12:46:02.634 V-128-749 [bmrop.cpp:BmrOpProcess()] Operation failed due to network problem.
5/17/2010 12:46:02.634 [CBmr::queryRequest(colClause, TableClause, WhereClause)] BmrOps BMROP_QUERY, BMROP_DB, failed In CBmr::queryRequest. rc =200
5/17/2010 12:46:02.634 [CommonDeviceUtils.cpp:GetWinPeInCompatibility()] Queryrequest failed for WinPeCompatibilityRule, rc=200
5/17/2010 12:46:02.634 [winpackage.cpp:FillOutPackageDb()] Failed to find the compatiblity with Windows PE for the given package.
The bmrsavecfg process identifies the master as the first entry in the NetBackup client's server list. In UNIX this is in the bp.conf file, in Windows this is stored in the registry.
To confirm that the client can connect to the NetBackup master, execute the following command from the client:
If this command errors, fails to generate output, or produces no output then the client is not successfully connecting to the NetBackup master server. This issue needs to be resolved in order for NetBackup BMR configuration captures to succeed.
Some possible causes for bplcntcmd -pn failing:
1. bprd is not running on the NetBackup master server.
2. The master server is not the first entry in the client's NetBackup server list.
3. The master server and client are on a backup network, the client cannot connect to the master server by it's production network name, and the first entry in the client's NetBackup server list is the master server's production network name. May need to use the master server's backup network name as the first entry in the client's NetBackup server list.
4. The client is resolving the first entry in the it's NetBackup server list to the incorrect IP address (forward lookup).
5. A firewall is blocking connectivity to the NetBackup master server on port 13720 (bprd).