Push or manual install of Remote Agent fails with error code: 1603
|Article:TECH135837|||||Created: 2010-01-24|||||Updated: 2014-11-19|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135837|
Push install or a manual install of Remote Agent fails with the following error:
Installation failed with error 1603
Excerpts from the RAWSINST.htm
- For Windows 2003: RAWSINST.HTM is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs
- For Windows 2008: RAWSINST.HTM is located in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\rawsinst.htm
06-24-2010,12:57:59 : DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x643)
06-24-2010,12:57:59 : DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\VirtFile.inf'
06-24-2010,12:57:59 : DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x643
06-24-2010,12:57:59 : DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 1603 (0x643)
06-24-2010,12:57:59 : Action ended 12:57:59: InstallExecute. Return value 3.
06-24-2010,12:57:59 : Action 12:57:59: Rollback. Rolling back action:
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : The return code from the MSI is: 1603
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : AgentSeqDlgs::PostInstallActions
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : Cleaning up the symc status key
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : The return value for Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems returned error code: 1603
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : Clean up Symantec installer keys.
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : AgentSeqDlgs::Misc_BE_CommonOps
06-24-2010,12:58:10 : The Installation Failed!
This issue may occur if:
- Certain driver packages are not being able install from the following location: 'X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\VirtFile.inf'
- The remote agent has recently been upgraded / installed on the remote machine.
- Open the registry editor Start > Run > Regedit
- Look for the following keys:
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | VirtFile
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | DIFx
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | DIFxApp
- Take a backup of the registry: File > Export > Select All > Save the file in .reg format
- Delete the registry keys specified in Step no. 2
- Reboot the Server
- Attempt to install the remote agent again.
- Login to the remote machine as DOMAIN\Administrator or Local Administrator.
- Attempt to install the remote agent using the local / silent installation method by following the steps listed in the following technote:
The return value for Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems returned error code: 1603.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135837