KNOWN ISSUE: Package Management Tasks are not removed or disabled from Notification Server when associated Wise packages are removed
|Article:TECH14007|||||Created: 2006-05-22|||||Updated: 2007-07-25|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH14007|
|NOTE: If you are experiencing this particular known issue, we recommend that you Subscribe to receive email notification each time this article is updated. Subscribers will be the first to learn about any releases, status changes, workarounds or decisions made.|
The following error message appears in the a.logs for packages that are retired or deleted from the Wise Software Repository after they are imported into Notification Server using Wise Integration Component. When an application is deleted, it does not remove the reference to the Package Management Task. After Wise Integration Component synchronizes again, it will try to update the Package Management Task. The reference is not present and the error below will appear.
Description: An exception occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.Altiris.PackageRuleManagement at Altiris.PackageRuleManagement.ExpressionTypes.SmartTargetsOfShortcuts.SaveToXml(XmlNode expressionNode)
- Test the connection in the Wise Software Repository page Configurtion tab > Configuration > Solutions Settings > Software Management > Wise Intregration Component > Wise Software Repository.
- Import an .MSI package into Wise Software Manager.
- When the import is complete, set the package to Available.
- Synchronize the Wise Software Repository and Notification Server on the Wise Software Repository page by clicking the Run Now.
- Browse to the Wise Available packages; the package imported into Software Manager should appear: Resources tab > Resource Management > Resources > Software Management > Software Delivery Packages > Windows > Wise Intregration Component > Available Packages.
- Browse to the Package Management Tasks; a task should be present with the name of the Package: Tasks tab > Tasks > Software Management > Application Management > Software State Management > Package Management tasks > Wise Intregration Component.
- Delete the Package from Software Manager.
- Repeat Step 4.
- Examine the a.log file for the error message.
Notification Server 6 SP 3
Wise Package Studio 7 SP1
Software Delivery Solution
Altiris Wise Integration Component 6.1.138
Application Management 6.1.4088
Workaround: By default, Package Management Tasks that are created through the Wise Integration Component do not have a Delete option on the right-click menu. Perform the following to be able to delete the Package Management Task:
- Go to Tasks tab > Software Management > Application Management > Software State Management > Package Management Tasks > Wise Integration Component > <Name of deleted package>.
- Right-click on the Package Management Task.
- Select Export and save the .xml file.
- Open the .xml file with Notepad.
- Line 7 (with word wrap off) should be <itemAttributes>ReadOnly</itemAttributes>. Change this line to be <itemAttributes>Normal</itemAttributes>.
- Right-click on the folder for the exported Package Management Task.
- Select Import and browse to the modified .XML file. You should now have the delete option available. After deleting the task, the errors should no longer appear.
|Description||Logged in Littlebuggy (Altiris - Lindon, Plymouth) database|
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH14007