"Unable to open an initial console" after SMS appliance posts.
|Article:TECH141815|||||Created: 2010-10-13|||||Updated: 2012-07-21|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141815|
You're unable to access admin interface or even ping the appliance.
You see the error "Unable to open an initial console" on the console after the SMS appliance posts and before the OS doesn't load.
"Unable to open an initial console"
The kernel cannot load device(s).
Possible root causes:
- Hardware failure.
- The file system / disks / partitions ran out of space.
- A power failure caused the appliance to shutdown improperly and file system was damaged.
- Confirm there are no problems with the hardware by running hardware diagnostics by pressing F10 during a reboot and / or contact Dell with Symantec support agent.
- Use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for the appliance.
- Perform an OS restore.
- To avoid this in the future, upgrade to SMS 9.0.1 or higher and/or configure log purge options.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141815