Missing WinPE optional components for selection while using Boot Disk Creator
|Article:TECH141958|||||Created: 2010-10-14|||||Updated: 2012-10-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141958|
Creating a new WinPE boot disk using boot disk creator has missing WinPE packages (optional installable components) on STEP 7 of 12.
*Note: This may cause the DAgent in WinPE automation fails to connect to the Deployment Server with the message,
Unable to connect with DAgent for status updates
DS 6.9 SP4
DS 6.9 SP5
DS 6.9 SP5 MR1
- File corruption in the WinPE boot image.
- The file that was found to be corrupted in this particular case was "winpe.wim".
- peimg.exe unable to access C: drive. To verify this is the issue, follow these steps:
- (E: is an example, any hard drive may be used other than the boot drive for this test)
- Create the folder C:\Temp\WinPE
- Creaet the folder E:\Temp\WinPE (replace E: with a hard drive other than C:)
- Open a command-prompt window
- Change directory to the eXpress\WAIK\Tools folder
- Run X86\imagex.exe /mountrw PETools\X86\winpe.wim 1 C:\Temp\WinPE
- Run PETools\peimg.exe /list C:\Temp\WinPE
- If the last line of the output shows "PEIMG completed the operation successfully." then this is not the issue
- If the last line of the output shows "PEIMG completed the operation successfully." then this is likely the issue, proceed to Solution #2
- Fix for file corruption
- Try closing the window and reload boot disk creator & restart ALL services
- Try reinstalling WinPE boot environment.
Please use the following link to download latest WinPE installer files.
WinPE Automation Environments for Deployment Solution 6.9 SP4 for 32-bit (x86)
- If reinstalling did not help, try enabling Bootwiz logging using the file bootwiz.ini
For details review kb HOWTO4568
title: Is there a way to log what the Boot Disk Creator activities?
- log file showed file read error.
Another log file in folder C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\WAIK\ puts a comment about WinPE reinstall : skipping regenerating file winpe.wim in folder C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\WAIK\Tools\PETools\x86\
- Removed file C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\WAIK\Tools\PETools\x86\winpe.wim and reinstalled WinPE and this fixed the issue.
- Make sure the following policy is disabled: MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3Name
- Fix for peimg.exe unable to access C: drive
- If possible, determine what may be preventing peimg.exe from accessing a wim mounted on the C: drive and report it to Symantec support
- Change the user's environment variable TMP to a drive other than C: (by default, TMP uses %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp - %USERPROFILE% is on the same drive as Windows, usually C:) - E:\Temp for example.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141958