New .SMSNDB Folder is Now Created and Used by SMSDOM in the Domino Data Directory
|Article:TECH142965|||||Created: 2010-10-29|||||Updated: 2012-04-25|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142965|
Domino crash with SMS Panic in relation to Global Mutex semaphores.
In SMSDOM 8.0.6 and older we used some semaphores globally meaning multiple nntask processes would share the semaphores. When customers use scripts that cleanup these semaphores like after one of the partitions has crashed this will ultimately remove the semaphores for other partitions. Once the semaphores have been removed it may take an hour or two before the other partitions will now crash. This makes it difficult to also realize that the original cleanup script was the cause of the semaphores being deleted.
The solution to the problem was to remove global semaphores and for each partition to create and use their own semaphores. This way if the semaphores are deleted for one partition they will not negatively impact any other partitions. The required code changes were done in build SMSDOM 8.0.7. We now create a .SMSNDB folder in the Domino data path. No one or program should tamper with this folder or the contents of this folder. Below is a list of files and the descriptions of each that will be found in this folder.
- SmsEmSync – The semaphore created with this file is used to sync between domino processes in hook.
- SmsSharedMemSync – The semaphore created with this file is used to sync between domino processes when changing shared memory.
- smsshmemlock – The semaphore created with this file is used at the time of creation of shared memory.
- slNNTASK.dat – Process ID of nntask is stored in this to keep track of whether nntask is already loaded or not.
- active.vsp – The active VSP for this domino partition is stored in this file.
- debugsmshook – The semaphore created with this file is used to sync between domino processes in hook while logging.
- debugsmstask – The semaphore created with this file is used to sync between nntask threads while logging.
- CSMSMultiInstanceLockData_NNTASK – This lock is used to access the file slNNTASK.dat
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142965