How to manually upgrade Backup Exec 12.x to version 2010/2010 R3 after normal upgrade fails
|Article:TECH145547|||||Created: 2010-12-03|||||Updated: 2012-09-26|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145547|
Need to manually upgrade Backup Exec from a previous version.
Current installed version: BEWS 12.0/12.5
Desired upgrade version: BEWS 2010/2010 R3
1. Remnants of old Backup Exec migrations cause the SQL database upgrade to fail.
2. Misconfigured SQL databases cannot be upgraded.
Before attempting this procedure, make sure to have a saved a copy of the DATA and Catalogs folders from the Backup Exec Program Folder.
1. Uninstall Backup Exec 12.x from the media server using the Add/remove applet in Control Panel.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
2. Also remove the following registry Keys;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows
3. Delete the following folders:
:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec
:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec
:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Veritas (if present)
4. If Backup Exec is the only application using SQL on the media server, uninstall all SQL installations from Add/Remove programs. If SQL is used by other applications, do not delete or remove it.
5. If the SQL installation has been removed/deleted also delete the following folder: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
6. Empty the Recycle Bin.
7. Reboot the media server.
8. Load the ISO image or install DVD for Backup Exec 2010 R2. Launch the installer browser.exe (if it does not auto launch).
9. Choose Typical Install and follow the installation instructions. If prompted, select create new SQL Express Instance.
10. After Installation is complete, confirm that Backup Exec opens successfully. Run live update and install any available updates.
11. Use the Bemig tool to migrate the Backup Exec 12.0/12.5 database into the new installation as described in the following tech note:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145547