Backup fail with Event ID: 12298 for Volume Shadow Copy Service error.
|Article:TECH148288|||||Created: 2011-01-17|||||Updated: 2012-03-19|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148288|
Backup jobs fail with Event ID:12298 and following error message in the BESR event logs
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job:Drive Backup
Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.
Error EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.(UMI:V-281-3215-6071)
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The I/O writes cannot be held during the shadow copy creation period on volume.
The backups generally fail with this error if the VSS writers on the system are not stable. As the VSS writers are not stable
they will not be able to quiesce(pause) the volumes that are being backed up and it fails.
- Open a command prompt and run the command: vssadmin list writers
- All the writers listed should be in Stable state with no errors.
- If the writers are not stable restart the server and then check them again.
- We need to install the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update rollout package(depending on the version of Windows)
if the writers are in failed state even after reboot.
- Follow the below microsoft KB link and install the VSS update from it and reboot the server again.
- Again check the writers and all the writers will be stable after installing this patch. Now run the backups.
- If this does not solve the VSS issue please contact Microsoft technical support for further assistance with troubleshooting VSS.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148288