Error Partitioning: Could not allocate requested partitions... (Symantec Encryption Management Server)
|Article:TECH149576|||||Created: 2009-10-01|||||Updated: 2014-05-12|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149576|
When installing PGP Universal Server 3.x or Symantec Encryption Management 3.3.0 (formerly PGP Universal Server) and above on VMware you receive the following error and setup cannot continue.
Could not allocate requested partitions:
Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions as primary partition for /boot.
VMware Hypervisor ESXi
VMware Vsphere 5+
VMware ESX 3.5+
This error occurs when the VMware instance is configured to use the BusLogic SCSI Adapter for the virtual machine. PGP Universal Server 3.x and Symantec Encryption Management Server 3.3.0 and above do NOT support using the BusLogic SCSI Adapter in a VMware virtual machine.
Best Practices for Creating a New Virtual Machine for Symantec Encryption Management Server (formerly PGP Universal Server) version 3.0 and newer.
Use the following procedure to use a LSI Logic adapter and install the Symantec Encryption Management Server (formerly PGP Universal Server) on a VMware virtual machine.
- Create a new Virtual Machine in VMware using the Custom option for the virtual machine configuration.
- For information on configuration settings for a VMware machine, see the following best practices article:
- When prompted to select the I/O Adapter Type, make sure and select LSI Logic as the SCSI Adapter type.
- Select the option to use the ISO image for the Symantec Encryption Management Server for the CD-ROM of the virtual machine.
- Boot the virtual machine to use the CD-ROM. The setup begins.
- To complete the installation the server, follow the screen prompts.
- After the initial installation, connect to the server through the Setup Assistant browser interface at:
https://<hostname>:9000 or https://<IP address>:9000
- The PGP Universal Server Setup Assistant launches.
- On the Setup Type screen, select the option to Primary.
Note: If restoring a server backup, select the option to Restore on the Setup Type screen.
- Select the backup file of the Symantec Encryption Management Server configuration you would like to restore and complete the remaining screens to restore the backup of the server.
- Complete the remaining screens to setup the server.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149576