General recommendations for virus scanner exclusions working with Netbackup product.
|Article:TECH152328|||||Created: 2011-01-31|||||Updated: 2012-12-11|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH152328|
Processes locked, or poor performance during backups/restores/duplications.
Various antivirus applications may have specific requirements not covered below.
4. _vxfivspcachefile_*.* or*.vsp
5. C:\ProgramFiles\VERITAS\<Netbackup>\online_util\fi_cntl (This directory is empty when no snapshot exists but gets populated when a cache file is created)
6. Directory called NBU_VSP_Cache (on NBU 6+)
7. Check with antivirus that the archive bit is not changed after a scan as this will effect the incremental backup based on archive bit
8. For performance, do not scan files during backup as this would slow the backup.
9. When using the Accelerator feature, exclude the following files on the root of each drive:
Exclude on Master/Media servers:
1. Same as client above(remember they are also netbackup clients)
2. Exclude the Netbackup and Volmgr directories.
3. If possible, set the scanner to scan inbound traffic only, this will help to avoid any performance/degradation for the backup when it takes place. The virus scanner will see files as being opened when NetBackup accesses them during a job. By setting the scanner to scan inbound traffic the scan will not take place during a backup.
However, the performance hit is usually negligible when scanning inbound and outbound traffic. A lot of this depends on the specification of the client.
The Antivirus software should have the following directories and processes excluded from scanning:
Directories to Exclude:
...\VERITAS\NetBackup (and all subdirectories)
...\VERITAS\Volmgr (and all subdirectories)
Processes to Exclude (Windows notation):
dbsrv9.exe - Adaptive Server Anywhere - VERITAS_NB Service
nbemm.exe - NetBackup Enterprise Media Manager Service
nbjm.exe - NetBackup Job Manager Service
nbnos.exe - NetBackup Notification Service
nbpem.exe - NetBackup Policy Execution Manager Service
nbrb.exe - NetBackup Resource Broker Service
nbsl.exe - NetBackup Service Layer Service
nbsvcmon.exe - NetBackup Service Monitor Service
nbvault.exe - NetBackup Vault Manager Service
vmd.exe - NetBackup Volume Manager Service
bpcompatd.exe - NetBackup Compatibility Service
bpinetd.exe - NetBackup Client Service
bpdbm.exe - NetBackup Database Manager Service
ltid.exe - NetBackup Device Manager Service
bprd.exe - NetBackup Request Manager Service
bpjobd.exe - NetBackup Job Daemon
bpbkar32.exe - NetBackup Backup Engine
bpbrm.exe - NetBackup Backup and Restore Manager
bpcd.exe - NetBackup Connection Daemon
bptm.exe - NetBackup Tape Manager
bpdm.exe - NetBackup Disk Manager
pbx_exchange.exe - Veritas (Symantec) Private Branch Exchange Service
Antivirus Exclusions for Unix:
Symantec has some general recommendations for Antivirus exclusions on a Master and Media servers. For specific exclusion details, please contact the Antivirus Software vendor.
On a Master or Media server, it is recommended that you exclude the following directories from scans:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH152328