Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.1, Build 1073 - Cumulative hotfix for Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in
|Article:TECH158130|||||Created: 2011-04-14|||||Updated: 2011-10-20|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158130|
To which version of Symantec Enterprise Vault (tm) can this hotfix be applied?
This Hotfix includes the install kit for all supported language versions of the EV 9.0.1 Outlook Full and HTTP-only add-in versions.
What issue(s) does this hotfix resolve?
Etrack 2330313 - Client performance improvements
1. Symantec have identified unnecessary permission checks when performing a vault cache synchronization, which take up valuable SQL server CPU and memory cycles.
2. When a large number of users, who have all missed their last scheduled vault cache synchronization, open outlook within a small timeframe, this leads to a large number of concurrent synchronization requests being initiated, which could lead to slot and SQL server contention.
Description of solution
1. Where possible unnecessary permissions checks have been removed. This will take effect if only the primary mailbox archive is being synchronized. The setting “Synchronize archive types” from the desktop policy must be set to “Default Mailbox” as shown in the screenshot below.
2. The client behavior can be modified to believe that the last scheduled synchronization took place. To explain, the following scenario has been detailed using a 3 hour scheduled synchronization interval:-
4pm - User completes a scheduled synchronization.
5pm - User logs off. (If the user had stayed logged in all night, their synchronization schedule would have been 7pm, 10pm, 1am, 4am, and 7am.)
9am - User logs in. The client behaves as if the last scheduled synchronization had taken place at 7am and a synchronization is not initiated at this stage.
10am - A scheduled synchronization is now performed.
This behavior is implemented using the following client-side registry key:
1 = enabled
0 = disabled
Etrack 2195812 - After installing Outlook 2010 extensions users get an error about running out of sessions while browsing Public Folders and their access stops. The error is:-
Cannot display the folder. Your server administrator has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously. Try closing messages you have opened or removing attachments and images from unsent messages you are composing.
Etrack 2201036 - Unable to delete items when working offline.
Etrack 2226478 - Outlook 2010 crashes when opening search folders in new window.
Etrack 2239206 - An installer issue causes Virtual Vault to disappear when performing an interactive client install
Etrack 2222788 - Virtual Vault is deselected after upgrading to the 9.0.1 client
Etrack 2245419 - Manual archive in Outlook fails with the following pop-up error "You cannot archive items from this location"
For further details on the above issues please refer to the Hotfix details.txt file located within the hotfix.
The following issue is still present within this hotfix:-
Etrack 2272460 - All the folders within a hierarchy below the folder where shortcuts are located are deleted when shortcut deletion is cancelled.
When deleting a folder hierarchy if the delete is cancelled on the dialog where a user is given the choice of deleting both the archived item and the shortcut, just the shortcut or canceling, parts of the hierarchy may still be deleted.
Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see http://www.symantec.com .
Which files does this hotfix replace?
This hotfix replaces the entire EV Outlook Add-in with an updated version with build number 220.127.116.117
File name: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in-XX.msi (XX indicates the language for the installation package)
How to install this hotfix:-
1. On the client computer close Microsoft Outlook
2. Execute the relevant .msi file included in this hotfix for your language and add-in version (full or http-only), then follow the installer steps. This will update any previously installed versions of the Enterprise Vault Outlook add-in.
How to uninstall this hotfix:-
1. On the client computer close Microsoft Outlook
2. Browse to Add/Remove programs and uninstall the Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In
Vault Cache synchronization performance improvements
After installing Outlook 2010 extensions users get an error about running out of sessions while browsing Public Folders and their access stops
When setting Outlook client to 'Work Offline', archived and non-archived email are unable to be deleted using keystrokes
Outlook 2010 crashes when opening search folders in a new window
An installer issue causes Virtual Vault to disappear when performing an interactive client install
Virtual Vault is deselected after upgrading to the 9.0.1 client
Manual archive in Outlook fails with the following pop-up error "You cannot archive items from this location"
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158130