Activating your new or renewed Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 product license
|Article:TECH162623|||||Created: 2011-06-17|||||Updated: 2012-07-10|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162623|
You want to activate your Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 product license. This tasks in this article apply to the following:
- Activating a new paid license
- Converting a trial license to a paid license
- Renewing a license
- License upgrades from a previous version
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 allows you to activate your product license from the management console. You use the activation workflow to activate a new license, to renew an expiring license, and to convert from a trial license to a paid license.
You start the License Activation Wizard from either the Symantec Endpoint Protection Welcome screen (which appears after installing the product) or from the Admin tab of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console. If you choose to activate your license from the Welcome screen, you can skip the first three of the following steps.
NOTE: The main console screen is slightly different for the Small Business Edition than that shown here. However, the Licensing Activation Wizard is identical in both versions of the product.
To start the license activation process from the console:
- On the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, click on the Admin tab.
- On the Admin tab, click Licenses
- Under Tasks, click Activate license
- In the License Activation Wizard, select Activate a new license and then click Next >.
- On the License Activation panel, select the option that matches your situation and then click Next >.
Descriptions of each option are provided in the following table:
|I have a serial number||You may receive a License serial number when you or your Symantec Partner purchased the license. If you have a license serial number, select this option. ( If you are an EFLEX customer and have an EFLEX generated serial number, please choose " I have a Symantec License File " )|
|I have a Symantec License File (.slf)||
In most cases, a Symantec License File (.SLF file) is sent to you in an email from Symantec shortly after completing a purchase or receiving a Version Upgrade Notification. The file arrives attached to the notification email as a .ZIP file. If you have received a .SLF file, select this option.
NOTE: You must extract the .SLF file from the .ZIP file before you can use it to activate your product license.
Warning: The .SLF file contains information that is unique to your license. To avoid corrupting the license file, do not alter its contents. You may copy the file for your records.
- What you do next depends on the selection you made in the previous step:
- If you selected I have a serial number in the previous step, enter the serial number in the space provided and then click Next >
Note: You must have an active internet connection and be able to reach the Symantec Licensing Server located at: https://tus1gwynwapex01.symantec.com/. If connectivity is successful, it will redirect to the Symantec Endpoint Protection web site.
- If you selected I have a Symantec Licensing File (.slf) in the previous step, click Add File and then browse to and select the .SLF file you extracted from the .ZIP file that was attached to your Symantec notification email, click Open, and then click Next >.
- The License Activation Wizard will ask you to enter information about your Technical and Primary Contacts, and about your company. The Technical Contact is the person who is responsible for maintaining and managing your Symantec Endpoint Protection system. You must fill in the information for Primary Contact even if it is the same as the Technical Contact. The last action on this panel is to acknowledge that you have read the disclosure statement. Upon making the acknowledgment, the Submit button becomes available. Click Submit to finalize the activation process.
- You receive a notification in the wizard that the license is activated. Click Finish to exit the wizard.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162623