How to configure Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac to use a proxy conditionally with Location Awareness
|Article:TECH166499|||||Created: 2011-08-04|||||Updated: 2012-05-21|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166499|
Support for Location Awareness in the Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac (SEP for Mac) product was introduced in the SEP 12.1 release.
How to configure a SEP for Mac client to conditionally use a proxy based on location?
To configure Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac to use a proxy in an office network environment and to not use any proxy settings outside the office network, Location Awareness and locations will be used for the SEP for Mac client to leverage:
- Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) console.
- Go to Clients and select the Group to which Mac client has been added or will be added.
- Go to the Policies tab on the right side of Clients.
- Create a location for the Office if one is not already created by clicking Add Location under Tasks.
- Follow the Wizard to name and create the location and then to note the conditions (for example, IP address used by the client) for the Mac client to be in that location.
- Once the location is created, or if there is a pre-existing Office location, open the Location-specific Settings for that location and select External Communications Settings.
- In the window that opens, select Proxy Server (Mac) and enter in any appropriate proxy configuration information, OR check the box to copy over any proxy settings used by Windows clients as necessary.
- Click OK.
- Create a new location for outside the Office by clicking Add Location under Tasks.
- Follow the Wizard to name and create conditions (for example: the IP address is not one used within the Office network location) for a location outside the Office network.
- Move the Mac client into this group if it is not already in this group.
In this situation, while in the Office location, the Mac client will use the configured proxy settings to reach out to the LiveUpdate server via the proxy. Outside the Office environment, the Mac client will now reach out to LiveUpdate without trying to use any proxy configuration data.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166499