How to set logging for Compliance and Discovery Accelerator Client
|Article:TECH169187|||||Created: 2011-09-09|||||Updated: 2013-10-30|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169187|
This technical article details the steps required to enable verbose logging on the Enterprise Vault (EV) Compliance Accelerator (CA) and Discovery Accelerator (DA) client in order to capture the client / server communication and any subsequent errors.
Complete the steps below to enable enhanced logging for the EV CA or DA Client.
- On the machine on which the CA or DA Client has been installed, close the CA or DA Client if open.
- Use NotePad to open and edit the CA or DA Client configuration file.
- This configuration file is named AcceleratorClient.exe.config.
- The default location for this file is 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USERID]\Local Settings\Application Data\Enterprise Vault\[Compliance or Discovery] Accelerator\Client\', where [USERID] is the logon account of the user and [Compliance or Discovery] is the product installed. For example, for the DA Client installation of UserID jdoe, the path would be 'C::\Documents and Settings\jdoe\Local Settings\Application Data\Enterprise Vault\Discovery Accelerator\Client'.
- Find the following line near the bottom of the file
<add key="TraceDetailClient" value="Brief" />
- Replace "Brief" with "Verbose" so the line becomes
<add key="TraceDetailClient" value ="Verbose" />
- Save and close the file.
- Open the CA or DA Client.
- Reproduce the error by repeating the steps that caused the error to occur.
- Close the CA or DA Client.
- Edit the AcceleratorClient.exe.config file to return the the line in Step 3 from "Verbose" back to "Brief".
- Save and close the file.
- Locate the log file.
- The name of the log file should be 'CustomTraceFile_#', where # is the number of the month in which the file was created. For example, the file created in January would have the name 'CustomTraceFile_1', whereas the file created in July would have the name 'CustomTraceFile_7'.
- The default location of the log file is 'C:\Documents and Settings\[USERID]\Local Settings\Application Data\Symantec Corporation\Enterprise Vault Accelerators\[Compliance or Discovery]_Client\Logs\', where [USERID] is the logon account of the user and [Compliance or Discovery] is the name of the product installed. For example, for the DA Client installation of UserID jdoe, the path would be 'C:\Documents and Settings\jdoe\Local Settings\Application Data\Symantec Corporation\Enterprise Vault Accelerators\Discovery_Client\Logs'.
- Copy the file onto a computer where it can be compressed and sent into Support as needed.
NOTE: There is an issue with enabling Verbose Logging for Compliance Accelerator and Discovery Accelerator versions 9.0 Base, 9.0 SP1 and 9.0 SP2. Enabling Verbose Logging using the procedure above will cause the Client to shut down upon the next start. Resetting the "Verbose" entry back to "Brief" will allow the Client to start normally. This issue has been resolved in 9.0 SP3.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169187