How to Install Symantec Endpoint Protection v. 11.x from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager v.12.1?
|Article:TECH174099|||||Created: 2011-11-10|||||Updated: 2013-01-11|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174099|
Environment upgraded to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.1, but the need to manage SEP 11.x clients for certain computers in your network exists.
One common case: you have computers with Windows 2000 Operating System in your network environment. SEP 12.1 does not support Windows 2000 Operating System, but SEP 11 does.
- TECH163806 System Requirements for Symantec Endpoint Protection, Enterprise and Small Business Editions, and Network Access Control 12.1
- About Support for Microsoft Windows 2000 in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
From where can a SEP 12.1 administrator obtain the older SEP 11.x client?
Symantec Endpoint Protection v.12.1 and network clients running Windows 2000 Operating System or legacy Macintosh computers that cannot run SEP 12.1
A Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) with version 12.1 can successfully deploy, administer and update SEP 11 clients, if necessary. This mixture of versions is usually a temporary condition as endpoints in the organization are upgraded to SEP 12.1. In the case of Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Professional endpoints, it may be necessary until computers running the legacy OS are retired.
To Install SEP 11 clients, requires the DVD of SEP 121.1 (Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Full_EN.iso)
Here are the Steps to Install the Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.x from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager v.12.1
1) Download the Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Full_EN.iso from https://fileconnect.symantec.com/
Note: For SEP 12.1 RU1 there is no .ISO packages on fileconnect you must instead download one of the below packages:
3) Extract the iso.
4) Go to Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Full_EN\SEPM\AdditionalPackages
Note: SAVLegacy32.dat is the Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.x. SAVLegacy32.dat would have to be imported to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
To Import the Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.x package to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, here are the steps.
- Log into the SEPM Console and select the Admin tab
- Select Install Packages
- Click Add Client Install Package from the Tasks menu
- On the Add Client Install Package dialog:
Provide a descriptive name for the installation package in the Specify a name for this package text box (i.e. Symantec Endpoint Protection RU6 MP1)
- Click the Browse button
- Navigate to the installation package folder (i.e. SEPM\AdditionalPackages\ from the installation media)
- Select the .info file associated with the installation package (i.e. SAV32.info)
- Click the Select button
- Optionally, provide a description of the package in the Description field
- Click the OK button to start the import process
- After a successful import, a status window will be displayed
- Click the Close button to exit the Creating Package dialog.
Once the legacy Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.x package has been imported, deployment of the same package to the Windows 2000 computers is possible.
This same procedure can be accomplished with the SEP for Mac package.
Please note that new releases of SEP 12.1 may contain updated legacy client packages. (The DVD for SEP 12.1 Release Update 1, for example, contains legacy client version of SEP 11 RU7). It is also possible to import the client packages from the latest SEP 11 Release Update (RU) DVD image. It is important to always import and deploy this legacy client package to provide the maximum possible stability and security for these computers which run SEP 11.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174099