SMSDOM Best Practices: Antivirus Updates
|Article:TECH175695|||||Created: 2011-11-29|||||Updated: 2013-02-11|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175695|
This article contains Best Practice information on AV updates of Symantec Mail Security for Domino (SMSDOM) or Multi Platform Edition (SMSDOM-MPE) on environments where different platforms and SMSDOM versions co-exist.
Ways to upgrade SMSDOM AV definitions:
- Independent LiveUpdate on each server (not in groups)
- Specific SMSDOM server group which runs LU then replicates savdefs.nsf across other servers
- Internal LiveUpdate Administrator server
The most recommended scenario for updating AV definitions across SMSDOM servers is to configure different updates for different platforms and use an internal LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x) server instead of replicating savdefs.nsf or LiveUpdate running independently on each server. Inconsistent product versions will interfere with any kind of replication and possibly lead to worse problems.
All servers running Domino server 8.5.2 (32-bit) and SMSDOM version 8.0.9 (32-bit).
- Prevent virus definitions corruption
Live Update should be disabled in SMSDOM on those Windows servers with Symantec Antivirus or Endpoint protection installed.
Periodic maintenance of "savdefs.nsf" database
If a replicated AV definitions model is used throughout the SMSDOM deployment, there are some periodic tasks which will improve its stability and prevent issues from occurring in the future. The maintenance tasks that should be considered are as follows:
- Ensure that the database is 'pushed' from those Domino servers running LiveUpdate.
- Run a monthly "compact" task against the savdefs.nsf database.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175695