Step By Step guide to download and install Backup Exec 2012
|Article:TECH179227|||||Created: 2012-01-18|||||Updated: 2013-11-27|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179227|
Step By Step guide to download and install Backup Exec 2012
The quick links listed below can be used to navigate through this technote if required:
- Download Backup Exec installation files
- Install Backup Exec 2012
- Welcome to Backup Exec 2012 Installation screen
- Select a product to install
- Select the type of installation (Typical by default)
- Custom installation method allows more user control over various settings
- Backup Exec Environment Check
- Add License File / Product Serial Number
- Enter Logon Account information and select a destination folder
- Add remote computer
- Review Installation settings
- Post install recommendations
One of the following available methods can be used to download the Backup Exec 2012 DVD ISO image:
- Go to fileconnect.symantec.com
- You can click on Change Language If need to change the language.
- Enter the Serial Number for Backup Exec and click SUBMIT SERIAL NUMBER (the Serial Number is usually the 'M' number which can be obtained from the purchase documentation or by contacting the Licensing Department).
- Click on link Symantec Backup Exec 2012 - Multilingual.
- Click I Agree on Symantec Software License Agreement.
- Download the following files as mentioned in the page. Select the files and click on DOWNLOAD SELECTED FILES
- On Security Information popup click Run.
- Click Browse... button and specify the download folder and click OK.
- This will start the file download using the Download Manager.
After downloading the files, combine them by double-clicking Backup_Exec_2012_14.0_SP1_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual.zip.cmd. The files will be combined to form the full DVD image. Use a DVD authoring tool to burn the ISO to a physical DVD which you can use to install the product.
- Go to www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer
- Click Download Now.
Note: Although it the website says 'free 60-day evaluation', please note that the files downloaded from this website are the same as full version. If the valid license key is not entered during the installation, the product would run in a 60-day evaluation mode. As soon as the license is installed it will come out of evaluation mode.
- Click "I Agree" on the Terms and conditions page.
- Login with the SymAccount username and password.
- Complete Survey Form.
- Download the Full DVD ISO
- Select a location to save the file and click the 'Save' button.
- Allow Symantec Download Manager to install and start the download
- Once the ISO is downloaded, there are multiple ways to use this:
- Extract the ISO with an extract/unzip program or
- Mount the ISO as a DVD drive using virtual DVD software or
- Burn the ISO to a physical DVD.
- Double click on the "Browser.exe" file from the DVD media to launch Backup Exec Installation. This will display the installation language selections
The Welcome Screen (Figure 8) contains three options:
- Getting started: This option will provide helpful documentation and links about the product.
- Pre-Installation: Environment Checker.
- Install Products: Lists options to Install Backup Exec or Backup Exec Agent for Windows.
Select Install Products to move to the Installation selection screen and select to install Backup Exec.
This will start the installation wizard which will guide the user through the installation process.
- Select I Agree to accept the End User License Agreement and click Next to continue with the installation.
- Select the type of installation (Typical by default).
Note: Options for Custom installation method are discussed below - click here to see what these options are.
- Click Next to continue.
- Backup Exec Installation will run the Environment Check. (See Related Documents section for more details)
- Review the summary and Click Next to continue.
- Enter a valid Backup Exec 2012 Product License Key and select Add.
Note: Repeat step 7 as often as necessary in order to add more Licenses for additional Backup Exec Agents & Options. If no License Numbers are entered, Backup Exec will be installed in a 60-day Trial Mode.
- Enter a user name, password, and domain for the Backup Exec services to use as a logon account. It is recommended to give the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) a Domain user account belonging to the Domain Admins and Local Administrators groups.
The following rights are required:
- Act as part of the operating system (Windows 2000 only)
- Backup Files and Directories
- Create a token object
- Logon as a batch job (Windows 2008 and higher)
- Logon as a service
- Manage Auditing and Security Logs
- Restore Files and Directories
- Take ownership of files and other objects
- Deny logon as a batch
- Deny logon as a service
Also make sure the account is not added under:
Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136148
Select a Destination Folder to install Backup Exec. By default the location is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. It can be changed if required by clicking on the Change button. Click Next to continue.
- The Add Remote Computer allows the user to push install the Remote Agent for Windows Systems (RAWS). (Figure 14) If this step is bypassed at this time, it can be performed after the installation is complete. See Related Documents for additional guidance on the push installation of RAWS.
- Review the Backup Exec Installation summary, and click Install to begin the Installation.
Note: The installation process may takes several minutes to complete. During the process, the progress bar may not move for several minutes.
- After the installation is complete, the following options are displayed:
- Participate in the Backup Exec Improvement Program.
- Run Live Update.
- View the readme.
- Create a shortcut to Backup Exec on the Desktop.
Note: A reboot may be required to complete the installation.
- Open Backup Exec and click on the Backup Exec button - Installation and Licensing - Live Update to download latest patches after Installation is complete.
Note: It is best to run Live Update until it states that it is up to date. This may take multiple attempts.
- Now it is necessary to push the updated agents to all remote agents.
How to install Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Windows - www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179142
Best Practices for Backup Exec 2012 and LiveUpdate - www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74437
- Additional agents and options may be selected (in addition to those included with license keys) to run in a 60-day trial mode. If no license keys are input, all agents and options are available in trial mode. Figure 16 and Figure 17
- A Typical installation creates a default SQL 2005 SP3 Express instance named BKUPEXEC in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server.
A Custom installation allows the user to select an existing SQL 2005 (SP3 or later) or SQL 2008 instance as the database repository, or to create the default BKUPEXEC instance in a different location on the computer. Figure 18
Note: SQL requires an unencrypted and uncompressed drive as the installation location.
The custom installation wizard is similar for BE 2010 and 2012
- A Custom installation includes the option to install Symantec device drivers for all tape devices. Note that Symantec drivers are not Windows Certification Tested. During the installation progress, click Continue Anyway if prompted about the device driver installation. Figure 19
Click here to navigate to the next step i.e. Installation Review.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179227