[ I ] Download Backup Exec
One of the following available methods can be used to download the Backup Exec 2012 DVD ISO image :
Option 1: Download it from FileConnect website:
a. Go to - fileconnect.symantec.com
b. Select a Preferred Language.
c. Enter the Serial Number for Backup Exec (the Serial Numbers is usually the 'M' number which can be obtained from the purchase documentation or by contacting the Licensing Department).
d. Click "I Agree" on the End User License Agreement.
e. Select the Language for Symantec Backup Exec 2012 if available, otherwise select "Multilingual".
f. Select the option "Managed Download" and click on Continue. (FIGURE 1)
Option 2: Download it from the Backup Exec Trialware website.
b. Click Download Now. (FIGURE 2)
Note: Although it the website says 'free 60-day evaluation', please note that the files downloaded from this website are the same as full version. If the valid license key is not entered during the installation, the product would run in a 60-day evaluation mode. As soon as the license is installed it will come out of evaluation mode.
c. Click "I Agree" on the Terms and conditions page.
d. Login with the SymAccount username and password.
e. Complete Survey Form.
f. Download the Full DVD ISO (FIGURE 3)
g. Select a location to save the file and click the 'Save' button.
h. Allow Symantec Download Manager to install and start the download. (FIGURE 4)
i. Once the ISO is downloaded, there are multiple ways to use this:
- Extract the ISO with an extract/unzip program.
- Mount the ISO as a DVD drive using virtual DVD software.
- Burn the ISO to a physical DVD.
[ II ] Install Backup Exec 2012.
1. Double click on the "Browser.exe" file from the DVD media to launch Backup Exec Installation. This will display the installation language selections: (FIGURE 5)
The Welcome Screen (FIGURE 6) contains three options :
- Getting started: This option will provide helpful documentation and links about the product.
- Pre-Installation: Environment Checker.
- Install Products: Lists options to Install Backup Exec or Backup Exec Agent for Windows.
Select Install Products to move to the Installation selection screen and select to install Backup Exec. (FIGURE 7)
This will start the installation wizard which will guide the user through the installation process.
2. Select I Agree to accept the End User License Agreement and click Next to continue with the installation.
3. Select Typical Install. (FIGURE 8) Options for Custom Installation are discussed below.
4. Click Next to continue.
5. Backup Exec Installation will run the Environment Check. (FIGURE 9) (See Related Documents section)
6. Review the summary and Click Next to continue.
7. Enter a valid Backup Exec 2010 Product License Key and select Add. (FIGURE 10)
Note: Repeat step 7 as often as necessary in order to add more Licenses for additional Backup Exec Agents & Options. If no License Numbers are entered, Backup Exec will be installed in a 60-day Trial Mode.
8. Enter a user name, password, and domain for the Backup Exec services to use as a logon account. It is recommended to give the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) a Domain user account belonging to the Domain Admins and Local Administrators groups. (FIGURE 11)
The following rights are required:
- Act as part of the operating system. (For Windows 2000 only)
- Backup Files and Directories.
- Create a token object.
- Logon as a batch job. (on Windows 2008 and higher)
- Logon as a service.
- Manage Auditing and Security Logs.
- Restore Files and Directories.
- Take ownership of files and other objects.
Also make sure the account is not added under:
- Deny logon as a batch.
- Deny logon as a service.
Backup Exec Service Account ( BESA ) - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136148
Select a Destination Folder to install Backup Exec. By default the location is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec. It can be changed if required by clicking on the Change button. Click Next to continue.
9. The Add Remote Computer allows the user to push install the Remote Agent for Windows Systems (RAWS). (FIGURE 12) If this step is bypassed at this time, it can be performed after the installation is complete. See Related Documents for additional guidance on the push installation of RAWS.
10. Review the Backup Exec Installation summary, and click Install to begin the Installation. (FIGURE 13)
Note: The installation process may takes several minutes to complete. During the process, the progress bar may not move for several minutes.
11. After the installation is complete, the following options are displayed :
Participate in the Backup Exec Improvement Program.
Run Live Update.
View the readme.
Create a shortcut to Backup Exec on the Desktop.
12. Click Finish after selecting the appropriate check boxes
Note: A reboot may be required to complete the installation.
13. Open Backup Exec and run Tools > Live Update to download latest patches after Installation is complete. Please note: It is best to run Live Update until it states that it is up to date. This may take multiple attempts.
14. Now it is necessary to push the updated agents to all remote agents using the Tools > Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers option.
A Custom installation of Backup Exec allows more user control over various settings:
1. Additional agents and options may be selected (in addition to those included with license keys) to run in a 60-day trial mode. If no license keys are input, all agents and options are available in trial mode. (FIGURE 14)
MISSING SCREEN-SHOT - CHECK TECH159346
2. A Typical installation creates a default SQL 2005 SP3 Express instance named BKUPEXEC in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server. A Custom installation allows the user to select an existing SQL 2005 (SP3 or later) or SQL 2008 instance as the database repository, or to create the default BKUPEXEC instance in a different location on the computer. (SQL requires an unencrypted and uncompressed drive as the installation location.) (FIGURE 15)
3. A Custom installation includes the option to install Symantec device drivers for all tape devices. Note that Symantec drivers are not Windows Certification Tested. During the installation progress, click Continue Anyway if prompted about the device driver installation. (FIGURE 16)