DEPRECATED : pcAnywhere TECH179526 hotfix
|Article:TECH179526|||||Created: 2012-01-22|||||Updated: 2012-04-12|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179526|
Note: pcAnywhere 12.5 SP4 and pcAnywhere Solution 12.6.7 have now been released. These versions of pcAnywhere include all previous hot fixes and an updated security model. Symantec recommends that customers install either pcAnywhere 12.5 SP4 or pcAnywhere Solution 12.6.7.
For more information about these releases and for upgrade instructions, see the following article:
The following tables outline the versions that are currently supported by the attached hotfix file. As the hotfix file is updated, more versions will become supported.
pcAnywhere (box product)
|ITMS version||pcAnywhere version|
|ITMS 7.1 SP2||pcA Solution 12.6.7580|
|ITMS 7.1 SP1||pcA Solution 12.6.65|
|ITMS 7.1||pcA Solution 12.6.65|
|ITMS 7.0||pcA Solution 12.5.539|
This hotfix does not apply to systems that only have Access Server installed.
For information and instructions on how to detect pcAnywhere and determine what version is running on a system, see the article at the following URL:
The following is the known issue with this hotfix.
- If the hotfix is applied before you upgrade to 12.5 SP3, it needs to be reapplied after the upgrade.
Upgrading to pcAnywhere 12.5
For information and instructions on upgrading to pcAnywhere 12.5, see the guide at the following URL:
Installing the hotfix
- Complete one of the following tasks:
Receive the hotfix with LiveUpdate, install the hotfix without LiveUpdate, or manually install the hotfix.
If you are running pcAnywhere version 12.0, manually install the hotfix.
See "Receiving the hotfix with LiveUpdate"
See "Installing the hotfix without LiveUpdate"
See “Manually installing the hotfix”
- Complete the following task:
Verify the update.
See "Verifying the update"
Receiving the hotfix with LiveUpdate
In the pcAnywhere application, click Help > LiveUpdate. After LiveUpdate opens, the update begins. If you have never performed a LiveUpdate on the current version of pcAnywhere, you must run three updates before the hotfix installs. You may be required to reboot your computer before the installation through LiveUpdate is complete.
If you are an administrator and want to silently trigger a LiveUpdate with another tool, you can type the following at the command line:
luall -s -a -p "pcAnywhere"
If you choose to trigger a LiveUpdate with the command line, you may need to run the trigger four times. You only need to run it four times if you have never performed a LiveUpdate on the current version of pcAnywhere.
Installing the hotfix without LiveUpdate
Use the attached file, PCAnywhere_12.x_Tech179526, to apply the update. To apply the update silently, use the /qn switch. This MSI applies to pcAnywhere Solution clients and the pcAnywhere boxed product. It is the preferred method of updating the software if LiveUpdate is not installed.
For pcAnywhere versions 12.1 and higher, the MSI detects which version of awhlogon.dll you have and lays down the correct patched version of the dll. If there is no corresponding patched version for your current dll version, you will receive the following error, “This install is not valid for your version of pcAnywhere.”
You may also receive an error when the installation of the hotfix starts or stops the Symantec pcAnywhere Host Service. You can safely ignore this error.
Note: In some cases after you run the MSI the pcAnywhere service will start even if it was not running previously. This allows users with Administrator credentials to connect to the computer via pcAnywhere. In this case, simply rebooting the computer will restore this service to its default state.
Manually installing the hotfix
- Verify what version of pcAnywhere is installed. Open pcAnywhere and click Help > About Symantec pcAnywhere. The version should be 12.0.1, 12.0.2 or 12.0.3.
- If you are not running one of these versions, please return to the “Installing the hotfix” section and choose another installation method.
- Close pcAnywhere if it is still running.
- If applicable, stop the Symantec pcAnywhere Host Service.
- Extract the PCA 12.0.x.zip file attached to this article to a temporary location.
- If you are on a 64-bit computer, browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\pcAnywhere
If you are on a 32-bit computer, browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere
- Rename the awhlogon.dll file to awhlogon.old.
- Browse to the location of the extracted PCA 12.0.x zip file.
- Find the folder that corresponds to the version of pcAnywhere the computer is running.
- For version 12.0.1 go to PCA12.0.x\r12.0.1\357\
- For version 12.0.2 go to PCA12.0.x\r12.0.2\366\
- For version 12.0.3 go to PCA12.0.x\r12.0.3\402\
- Copy the awhlogon.dll file from the folder that you chose in the last step to the following location:
32-bit: C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere
64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\pcAnywhere
- If applicable, restart the Symantec pcAnywhere Host Service.
- Verify that the clients can connect to the host.
Verifying the update
To verify the update, check the file version of C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhlogon.dll as follows:
- On computers with a 64-bit version of Windows, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\pcAnywhere.
- Your install path is different if a non-default location was used.
- Use the following tables to figure out what version the file should be after the update.
pcAnywhere (box product)
|Version||.dll version change|
|12.5 SP3||126.96.36.1996 > 188.8.131.520|
|12.5 SP2||184.108.40.2063 > 220.127.116.110|
|12.5 SP1||18.104.22.1682 > 22.214.171.1240|
|12.5||126.96.36.1995 > 188.8.131.520|
|12.1.2||184.108.40.2069 > 220.127.116.110|
|12.1.1||18.104.22.1688 > 22.214.171.1240|
|12.1.0||126.96.36.1998 > 188.8.131.520|
|12.0.3||184.108.40.206 > 220.127.116.11|
|12.0.2||18.104.22.168 > 22.214.171.1246|
|12.0.1||126.96.36.199 > 188.8.131.527|
|ITMS version||pcAnywhere version||.dll version change|
|ITMS 7.1 SP2||pcA Solution 12.6.7580||184.108.40.2061 > 220.127.116.113|
|ITMS 7.1 SP1||pcA Solution 12.6.65||18.104.22.1685 > 22.214.171.1249|
|ITMS 7.1||pcA Solution 12.6.65||126.96.36.1995 > 188.8.131.529|
|ITMS 7.0||pcA Solution 12.5.539||184.108.40.2068 > 220.127.116.111|
Uninstalling the hotfix
For information and instructions on uninstalling this hotfix, see the article at the following URL:
Please note that LiveUpdate may not work on Windows 7 computers with pcAnywhere 12.5. This is a known issue with pcAnywhere 12.5 and Windows 7. For information and instructions on installing LiveUpdate version 3.3, see the article at the following URL:
Q. Is this hotfix compatible with pcAnywhere rollup hotfix version 12.6.66 (www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159971)?
Q. Is this hotfix compatible with pcAnywhere rollup hotfix version 18.104.22.168 (www.symantec.com/docs/TECH123841)?
Q. Is this hotfix compatible with pcAnywhere rollup hotfix version 12.5.542 (www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168996)?
Q. Is this hotfix compatible with the Privacy Patch (www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138171)?
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179526