Backup Exec services fail to start on Backup Exec 2010 after a failed attempt to install Backup Exec 2012
|Article:TECH181380|||||Created: 2012-02-14|||||Updated: 2012-02-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181380|
When running Backup Exec 2010 the services will fail to start and below error is seen when upgrade of Backup Exec 2010 to Backup Exec 2012 fails.
"Setup will be unable to detach the BEDB database from SQL server <server name> because it has failed to establish a connection. If you choose to continue with the Symantec Backup Exec 2012 removal, you will have to manually detach the BEDB database from SQL server <server name>. "
To restore Backup Exec database:
- Using the Backup Exec Services Manager, stop all Backup Exec services.
- Stop the SQL service used by Backup Exec
- Browse to the Backup Exec Data folder (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data) and rename the bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files to bedb_dat.old and bedb_log.old. (These can be deleted after a successful database restore is confirmed)
- Browse to the current DataBackup folder from (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\DataBackupYYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS\Data) and copy the bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf files to the Backup Exec Data folder (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data).
- Start the SQL service used by Backup Exec.
- Start the Backup Exec services, starting with the Device and Media service.
INSTALL: After upgrade fails, the rollback process only rolls back the Backup exec files and not the BEDB causing schema version mismatch errors.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181380