LiveUpdate terminates with return code 1878 when attempting to update virus definitions for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
|Article:TECH183071|||||Created: 2012-03-06|||||Updated: 2013-05-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183071|
LiveUpdate fails to update virus definitions for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) with the return value LU 1878: LiveUpdate was running when a logoff or system shutdown/restart was detected.
The following lines may be found in the Log.LiveUpdate file:
3/5/2012, 14:32:10 GMT -> While downloading updates, LuComServer detected the auto-shutdown flag; LuComServer will free all session resources and then terminate...
3/5/2012, 14:32:10 GMT -> EVENT - SESSION END SUCCESSFUL EVENT - The LiveUpdate session ran in Silent Mode.
LiveUpdate found 1 updates available, of which 0 were installed and 1 failed to install.
The LiveUpdate session exited with a return code of 1878, LiveUpdate was running when a logoff or system shutdown/restart was detected.
LiveUpdate has automatically shut itself down.
3/5/2012, 14:32:10 GMT -> Failed to impersonate the COM client in the file download thread; err=1008
3/5/2012, 14:32:11 GMT ->
Failed to impersonate the COM client in the file download thread; err=1008
The server experiencing the problem has very low bandwidth available, and LiveUpdate sessions require more than one hour to download a full definition set.
The LiveUpdate session took longer than the configured timeout value for SMSMSE LiveUpdate, by default 1 hour.
To adjust the timeout value for LiveUpdate:
- Open the Registry editor (Start -> Run, Regedit)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\SMSMSE\6.5\Server. For 64 bit systems, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Symantec\SMSMSE\6.5\Server
- In the right pane, right click the DWORD value "TimeoutForLiveUpdateProcess" and select Modify.... For the Base radio box select Decimal. The default value is 3600000 milliseconds (1 hour).
- Enter a value that allows sufficient time for LiveUpdate to pull down a full definition package (in milliseconds, for example 7200000 is 2 hours).
- Restart the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange service.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183071