Symantec Protection Center 2 (SPC): Manual Update release of SPC 2.1 MP1 (184.108.40.20612)
|Article:TECH184819|||||Created: 2012-03-26|||||Updated: 2012-04-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184819|
Symantec Protection Center 2 (SPC) is operating in a closed network environment (No Internet Access), and needs to be manually updated. What is the best practice for performing manual updates, and what is the order of installation required to bring a patched, or unpatched, install of SPC 2 up to date?
SPC 2.0 (220.127.116.119), SPC 2.0 RU1 (18.104.22.1685), or SPC 2.1 (22.214.171.1245)
Refer to TECH176838 for a list of all previously released patches, their order of installation, and download links.
After refering to TECH176838 mentioned above, and ensuring you have all previously released patches installed, please download and install the attached SPC 2.1 MP1 Update file.
About the Protection Center 2.1 MP1 update:
This update provides security enhancements, including console security certificate management and security auditing, new reports and enhanced report functionality, and additional browser support. This update also resolves several issues in Protection Center 2.1. For details, see http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5418 : Symantec Protection Center 2.1 MP1 Release Notes
Users who have access to internet activity on the Symantec Protection Center Appliance automatically receive LiveUpdates and should not need to follow the instructions below.
This is a System Update. It will upgrade your fully patched SPC 2.1 (126.96.36.1995) appliance to SPC 2.1 MP1 (188.8.131.5212).
Follow these steps for updating the Symantec Protection Center (SPC) software manually if SPC was not able to automatically receive the LiveUpdate and/or does not have access to an Internet connection.
By default, Protection Center uses LiveUpdate to automatically keep its software components up to date. Protection Center also uses LiveUpdate to update the information that Protection Center needs to work with supported products.
Prior to each SYSTEM update that you perform it is best practice to complete a system backup or to take a Virtual Snapshot of your SPC 2 appliance. In addition, between each system update you should click the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button ONE TIME ONLY, then walk away from the system for 30 to 45 minutes while the system checks for, and installs, any intermediary files. This process occurs so quickly, that you may see no items listed on the Available Updates tab other than additional System Updates that may be available. Reference TECH176838 ( http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176838 ) for the latest list of available updates. Do not install any System Updates if you are missing any of the Content updates released between your current SPC version and the roll-up (RU) or Upgrade file you wish to have installed.
If you do not use the Protection Center automatic update feature, you can update the Protection Center software manually. You might need to use manual updates when Protection Center has no access to the Internet. You might also perform manual updates if you need to perform an update immediately and do not want to wait for the automatic mechanism.
Note: You must download and install all required patches. You must install patches in a particular order. You may find the full listing of all patches, and the required order, by reading TECH176838. ( http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176838 ) You must include the full set. If you omit a required patch from the set, the manual installation process will fail with an error message.
To update the Protection Center software manually:
1. Save the files on appropriate storage media (USB drive, DVD, or CD) that the Protection Center appliance can read.
Do not select network drives, Web sites, or FTP addresses.
2. Login directly to the Protection Center appliance with the SPC_Admin account, this will bring up the SPC Control Panel.
3. In the Protection Center control panel, under Manual Protection Center Update, click Install Protection Center Update.
4. In the Install Protection Center Update dialog box, click Browse and then select the update file that you want to install.
5. Click Run.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the update file.
7. To complete the installation of this system file you will need to logon to the SPC 2.1 Web console.
8. Navigate to the Admin/Software Update/Available Updates tab
9. Click on the SPC 2.1 MP1 (184.108.40.20612) System Update to begin installation.
10. Follow all prompts to complete the installation.
11. At the conclusion of the system installation the SPC appliance will restart automatically.
12. Continue to install additional manual updates, if applicable, using the instructions associated with those updates.
Symantec recommends that you apply this update as soon as possible. Please ensure that you have a full backup of your current system prior to starting the update process.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184819