Endpoint Protection shows definitions out of date at 30 days even when configured to notify after more than 30 days
|Article:TECH186964|||||Created: 2012-04-22|||||Updated: 2012-04-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186964|
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients display warning messages about out of date Antivirus and Antisypware definitions after 30 days though the client's policy is configured to warn after 90 days.
A pop-up warning message titled: "Old Virus Definition File".
The message displayed is: "Your virus definitions are currently out of date. Contact your system administrator on how to update them."
The SEP client interface displays an error message stating: "Antivirus and Antispyware Protection definitions are out of date".
There are two types of notifications that can be configured via the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM): Windows Security Center (WSC) and SEP client notifications.
The SEPM allows for a maximum of 99 days before the SEP client will notify about out of date definitions, but the maximum time before a WSC notification is 30 days. When determining when to notify on out of date definitions, the SEP client will use the lower of these two time windows.
This issue can be resolved by ensuring that the Antivirus and Antispyware policy utilized by affected clients is set to warn after definitions are no older than 30 days, and
To modify the Antivirus and Antispyware policy's notification settings:
- Log into the SEPM console and select the Policies tab
- Select the Antivirus and Antispyware Policies link from the View Policies pane
- Select the policy used by the affected clients from the Antivirus and Antispyware Policies pane
- Click the Edit the Policy link in the Tasks pane
- Expand Windows Settings and select the Miscellaneous tab
- Set the Display a Windows Security Center message when definitions are outdated value to 30 or less
- Select the Notifications tab in the Miscellaneous pane
- Set the Days before a warning appears in Symantec Endpoint Protection value to the same amount as in step 6
- Click the OK button to close the AV Policy window and save the changes to the policy
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186964