Creating Cold Image Backups (Booting from System Recovery Disk)
|Article:TECH186993|||||Created: 2012-04-22|||||Updated: 2013-12-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186993|
Using Symantec System Recovery Disk to backup a system. In an environment where system has crashed or needs to be backup without installing the Symantec System Recovery product software.
Windows based systems
Do the following steps to create a backup image by using System Recovery Disk:
1) Boot the system with System Recovery Disk from where backup images to be created
2) Click the Accept button on the EULA screen to begin.
3) Click YES in case if the destination is a network location
Note: In case if the network adapter is not getting initiated then (x86) drivers are required to be uploaded from System Recovery Home page to enable the same.
4) Click on Network tab to provide ip address for the system from where cold image needs to be done.
5) Click on Configure Network Connection Settings to configure and provide Ip address by choosing the correct NIC card ( in case of multiple NICs).
6) For confirmation for correct Ip address try to use Ping a Remote Computer.
7) Click on Set Network Card Speed if NIC speed to be changed.
7) Map the destination where the images are required to be created and stored.
8) Now click on Back Up My Computer and click next
9) Provide the license key (in case of trial version)
10) Select the check boxes beside the local drives which are required to be imaged and click next
11) Click on browse and provide the destination( mapped drive) where the images needs to be stored and click next
Note: Click on Rename if Default Image Name to be changed
12) Click on drop down list if Compression level needs to be changed. Click on Verify recovery point after creation if verification required.
14) Click on Advance if the images needs to be splitted if they are too large to avoid network throttling issues and if password protection needs to be enabled
Note: Do not select Disable SmartSector copying option otherwise it copy entire logical partition including free space.
Do not select Ignore bad sectors during copy until the source is having issue with bad sectors.
15) Click on Finish to start the backups.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186993