BUG REPORT: LSP Incompatibility issues between Symantec Encryption Desktop (formerly PGP Desktop) and Avira.
|Article:TECH187397|||||Created: 2012-04-26|||||Updated: 2013-05-09|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187397|
Issue 1: If Avira is already installed on the PC and Symantec Encryption Desktop is installed then Avira's Antivir Mail Guard and Avira's Web Guard are deactivated and can’t be activated.
Issue 2: If Symantec Encryption Desktop exists on the machine already and Avira is installed the LSPcomponents from Symantec Encryption Desktop is not functioning correctly and the automatic email encryption and decryption is not working for SMTP/POP/IMAP email accounts. Plus new email accounts are not detected.
The following are symptoms you will see of the problem:
- Emails over SMTP/POP/IMAP are not secured.
- Avira's Antivir Mail Guard and Avira's Web Guard are deactivated and can’t be activated after PGP was installed
Note: This applies to Symantec Encryption Desktop (formerly PGP Desktop) version 9.x, as well as 10.0 and above
Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers. This issue is currently being considered by Symantec Corporation to be addressed in a forthcoming version or Maintenance Pack of the product. Please be sure to refer back to this document periodically as any changes to the status of the issue will be reflected here.
The following are known temporary workarounds for the issue until the version/maintenance pack is released:
1. Refer to the following KB article
2. If you wish to use all the features of Avira and do not need email encryption from Symantec Encryption Desktop, then install the client without the LSP feature. Here is the relevant KB article:
3. Encrypt /decrypt emails using the Current Window feature of Symantec Encryption Desktop
Avira AntiVir deactivates Mail scanning when PGP is installed
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187397