Capacity Information, Warning and/or Error alert(s) may appear in Backup Exec 2012.
|Article:TECH189217|||||Created: 2012-05-21|||||Updated: 2012-05-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189217|
The following alert message(s) may appear in Backup Exec 2012:
UMI Code: V-275-1072
UMI Code: V-275-1074
UMI Code: V-275-1076
UMI Code: V-275-1070
These alerts are generated when one or more of the volume(s) hosting a Disk storage have reached one of the following threshold levels:
- Low disk space
- Low disk space - Warning
- Low disk space - Critical
- Already run out of disk space.
Capacity Information alert: 'Low disk space' threshold.
This is an informational alert. Backup Exec will continue to use the disk, but this volume requires attention as it has crossed the first threshold level i.e. Low disk space.
Capacity Warning alert: 'Low disk space -Warning' threshold.
If the above alert was ignored and backups continue to run, Backup Exec will generate this warning alert.
Backup Exec will continue to use the disk. The volume requires attention as it has crossed the second threshold level i.e. Low disk space - Warning
Capacity Warning alert: 'Low disk space - Critical' threshold.
If the above two alerts were ignored and backups continue to run, Backup Exec will generate this warning alert.
This means the disk is almost out of space. The situation is critical and the volume requires urgent attention as it has now crossed the third threshold level i.e. Low disk space - Critical.
Capacity Error alert: The disk is out of space.
This alert is generated when one or more of the disks hosting a disk storage device have run out of disk space.
Backup Exec will re-use the disk space as retention periods expire for the backup data which is already on the disk device.
In order to avoid backup failures due to low disk space conditions:
- Increase the disk space before the disk capacity is completely used.
- Create additional disk storage devices on other drive letters and target the backup jobs to new disk storage devices.
- Delete the backup sets that are no longer needed from the disk storage device in question. (See Deleting backup sets)
- This step will remove the Catalog, Database entries and Backup Data in the storage location. The data will be deleted and will not be able to be restore.
- If the Backup Set being deleted has dependent sets, the dependent sets will be deleted also. Example, Deleting a Full backup will delete all Incremental sets for that Full.
By default the Low disk space thresholds are set to:
- Low disk space = 25 % free
- Low disk space - Warning = 15 % free
- Low disk space - Critical = 5 % free
However, these can be changed by going to the Disk storage device's properties:
- Open the Backup Exec console and go to Storage tab.
- Double-click on the device in question or Right-click the device - select Details.
- Select Properties on the left pane and adjust the threshold levels as required (Figure 5):
The amount of free space on the disk has reached the 'Low disk space - Critical' threshold.
The disk is out of space.
The amount of disk space on the disk has reached the 'Low disk space' threshold.
The amount of disk space on the disk has reached the 'Low disk space - Warning' threshold.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189217